Therapies and treatments
Here are some of the treatments and therapies available in England and Wales for disabled children and adults with cerebral palsy and associated impairments.
Treatments and therapies may not be suitable for an individual’s specific needs. Most of these therapies are suitable for disabled adults and children, but please check with the governing body or individual practitioner first.
Scope does not endorse or recommend any treatments or therapies. Always consult a doctor or medical practitioner before starting or paying for any therapy.
- Botox™ to act as a muscle relaxant
- Conductive education - special education for children and adults with motor disorders
- Hippotherapy - “therapy on a horse”
- Intrathecal baclofen (ITB) - a muscle relaxant
- Occupational therapy
- Portage - learning basic skills
- Rebound therapy - use of a trampoline
- Selective dorsal rhizotomy - a complex neurosurgical technique
- Speech and language therapy
For more information about any of these therapies, please contact Scope Response.