A-Z of therapies
Here are some of the treatments and therapies available in England and Wales for disabled children and adults with cerebral palsy and associated impairments.
Treatments and therapies may not be suitable for an individual’s specific needs. The majority of these therapies apply to disabled adults and children but please check with the governing body or individual practitioner first.
Scope does not endorse or recommend any treatments or therapies and we would always advise consulting a doctor or medical practitioner before undertaking or paying for any therapy.
- Anat Baniel Method (ABM) suitable for people diagnosed with a range of neurological conditions
- Botox™ to act as a muscle relaxant
- Complementary therapies from acupuncture to yoga
- Conductive education special education for children and adults with motor disorders
- Cycloidal vibration therapy mechanical vibration to reduce spasms
- Dolphin therapy
- Hippotherapy “therapy on a horse”.
- Hyperbaric oxygen therapy (HBOT)
- Intrathecal baclofen (ITB) a drug produced as a muscle relaxant
- Occupational therapy
- Portage learning basic skills
- Rebound therapy use of a trampoline
- Selective dorsal rhizotomy complex neurosurgical technique
- Speech and language therapy
For more information about any of these therapies, please contact Scope Response for information, advice and support.