Britain Cares about local support for disabled people
18 April 2013
The public is being asked to show that it backs local support for disabled people as part of a new campaign from the disability charity Scope.
The Britain Cares campaign launches on Thursday 18 April.
It aims to use a powerful demonstration of public backing to encourage the Government to put in place the funding to make sure disabled people get local support for basics like getting washed, dressed and out of the house.
Members of the public will be asked to take a photo of themselves with the words ‘I Care’ written either on them or something they can hold, and then send it to their MP.
As part of this, the MP will be asked to call on the Secretary of State for Health, Jeremy Hunt, to ensure disabled people have the essential support they need to live their lives.
Britain Cares online campaign
A Britain Cares website, where people and community groups can upload photos and find out more, is live.
Today also marks the start of a social media push backed by the hash-tag: #BritainCares
Over the coming weeks the campaign will include an online video from award-winning producers, celebrity tweets and a set of bold adverts in Scope’s 240 charity shops.
The campaign comes as the Government insists that people are behind its plans to re-shape welfare.
But Scope hopes this campaign will show that when it comes to support for disabled people, the country thinks they should get what they need to live independently.
Independent living
Matt Jackson, Head of Campaigns at the disability charity Scope, said:
“This campaign is about showing the Government that British people really do care about whether or not disabled people can live independently.
“We are convinced that the British public has an innate sense of fairness; that most people would want to see disabled people given the same chance as everyone else to get on with living their lives.
“Social care is the help disabled people receive to get out of bed, get washed, dressed and leave the house - the basics in life – yet too many disabled people are being denied this.
“The Government has a chance to stop this, and it makes a difference if they see people care enough to speak out. We aim to show them they do.
“Local councils have had to cut back on funding for social care. They have done this partly by reducing the numbers of disabled people who receive it. As a result, 70,000 disabled people are already struggling to get by without social care. At least another 30,000 more disabled people will be at risk of losing their independence too unless we can come up with a funding solution.”
Social care crisis for disabled people
The backdrop to the campaign is increasing acceptance of the need to find a solution to the crisis in social care for disabled people.
Two influential groups of MPs and Peers have been taking evidence from disabled people, the organisations that work with them, councils and experts on the crisis in support for disabled people. They are due to publish their report at the end of April.
Meanwhile the Government is working on a draft Care and Support Bill. A Joint Committee of both Houses scrutinising the draft care and support bill, warns the Government’s plans will fail without a greater focus on prevention and integration.
The Joint Committee goes as far as to say that they received significant evidence to suggest setting national eligibility at “substantial” was too high. The bill is expected to be announced in the Queen’s Speech on 8 May.
Last month, in the Budget, the Government announced that it will bring forward plans for a cap on social care costs and a new means testing threshold.
Charities welcomed the budget announcements on social care, but called on the Government to address the funding crisis. Councils, meanwhile, have said that the funding crisis will “bring local government to its knees”. On 26 June the Government will reveal details of its Spending Review.
In January, The Other Care Crisis revealed a £1.2 billion funding gap in care and support for disabled people. The research also found that setting eligibility at ‘substantial’ could risk 105,000 disabled people failing to get basic support for their day-to-day lives.
Notes to the Editor:
For more information or interview requests, please contact the Scope press office on 020 7619 7200.
We're social, follow us!