By law, your employer must make reasonable adjustments that will allow a disabled person to work. The Equality Act 2010 applies throughout your employment, not just when you start a new job.

You may need new adjustments if your condition or your duties change.
Examples of adjustments include:
  • changes to the physical workplace environment (such as installing a ramp).
  • providing you with special equipment (such as an ergonomic keyboard or an adapted desk).
  • flexible hours and location of work.
You should have regular reviews with your employer to discuss your needs and how well the adjustments you have are meeting these. Work with your employer to decide how often you need to meet.

Start by asking your line manager about the process for making adjustments. If they can’t get you the help that you need, contact your employer’s human resources department. Access to Work grants can be used to pay for assessment to work out what you need, as well as paying for adjustments.
More on reasonable adjustments at work.
More on Access to Work grants.

At the meeting

You may wish to prepare notes beforehand so that you have an idea of what you want to say. Bring these with you and clearly explain what you are finding difficult at work and what you think might be the solution. If you already know what you need, ask for it. Otherwise you should be given an assessment to determine how your needs have changed and how they can be better met.
At the meeting, aim to agree on specific actions that can be taken, and timescales for these.

Asking for adjustments when returning to work

Your employer only has to provide reasonable adjustments if they are aware of your increased needs. Make sure you tell them when you need these, and that you can prove that there’s a written record of you doing this.

If you have been off work due to your condition, your employer should deal with this as disability-related, rather than as sickness. If it doesn’t, email them to say that this is because of your impairment. By doing this, there’s a record of what you have told your employer. If you are not offered a meeting to review your adjustments, request this specifically.

Reasonable adjustments are not ‘favouritism’. Employers must consider all requests that would give disabled people the tools they need to do their job. If your employer does not provide this, you may be able to bring a claim in an employment tribunal.

Who will pay for the adjustments?

You should not have to pay for any adjustments at work. Your employer will pay for these, and additional funding may be available from the Government’s scheme.

If your employer won’t provide you with adjustments

Consider getting in touch with one or more of the following organisations to get advice.

Need employment advice?

Support for disabled people looking for a job, online, by phone, Skype or text message.

Employment information supported by Virgin Media

Virgin Media
We're working with Virgin Media to support 1 million disabled people in getting into and staying in work by the end of 2020.

How useful is this page?