Coronavirus: information and updates

Using campus services during coronavirus

Many universities and colleges have web pages about the changes because of coronavirus. You may also find frequently asked questions (FAQs) from other students.

Universities and colleges may also send out information about things like:

  • how your course will be organised, such as remote learning and which days you can go to campus 
  • how you can access campus services, such as the library and meeting rooms, mental health support, employment services or students’ union
  • what you need to do, like wearing masks on campus

Check your email or post for this information before the term starts. If you cannot find the information you need, contact your university of college.

Warning Check with your university website

During the national lockdown, universities are closed. Some facilities might be open and support should be available.

Look at your university's website or ask your students union for more information.

National lockdown (GOV.UK)

Contact the disability team for support

Look for the disability team’s contact details on your university or college website. The name of the team or service can vary, search for:

  • disability and dyslexia support
  • disability learning support
  • disability advisory service or disability services
  • student wellbeing service

You can contact the disability team if you are a new or returning student. You can do this by phone, video chat or email.

Contact your disability team if you:

  • cannot find information you need about accessing campus services
  • are worried about how the changes will affect you

Disabled students are legally entitled to reasonable adjustments and educational support. The team can talk to you about your concerns and make sure you get the support you need to study.

Reasonable adjustments at university and college

If you’re a returning student

Contact the disability team about how your needs have changed because of coronavirus. For example, accessing library books when you cannot go to campus.

If you get Disabled Students Allowances (DSAs), ask your disability team how to get your needs assessment updated to include these changes.

Campus services

Many campus services have changed the way they work because of coronavirus. They might be available:

  • online only
  • available on campus only
  • both online and on campus

This will depend on the service and how the university has decided to change how it runs. Check your university website for changes or contact specific services for more information.


Many libraries are making changes like:

  • providing audiobooks
  • making library resources available online, like digital copies of books and journals
  • posting library books to students who cannot get them online or come to campus
  • new rules for using the library on campus, like no eating or drinking and wearing a face mask at all times

Some libraries also have a specialist who supports disabled students. You may be able to ask for adjustments, like:

  • having short loan books for longer because you need more time
  • being able to eat in the library for health reasons, such as diabetes
  • not wearing a mask for health reasons

Ask your disability team to help arrange adjustments with the library so you can use the services.

If you need printed copies to make your studies accessible, you can get printing support from DSAs.

Disabled Students’ Allowance (DSAs)

Ask your university or college for a printer as a reasonable adjustment if you do not get DSAs and cannot go to campus. For example, if you’re shielding.

Mental health support services

If you’re struggling to get mental health support, contact your university’s wellbeing or mental health team. Talk to them about what you need.

Many universities are offering their mental health support services remotely. They may use software like Microsoft Teams or Zoom. If your assistive technology does not work with the software, ask to use a video chat programme that does.

If you’re struggling with having sessions remotely, ask the mental health team if they can give you an alternative. For example, a session in person using face masks or visors.

If you cannot get mental health support from your university, look at:


Togetherall offers 24-hour online emergency support and community support. If your university or college is signed up, you can register for free.

Check if your university or college is registered (Togetherall)

Student Minds

Student Minds has community support from other students. They have information and advice on student topics and coronavirus, as well as running workshops.


Samaritans offer 24-hour support if you need to talk to someone. They also have a self-help app.

Student support

Learning remotely and spending time away from campus may mean you have to find other ways to:

  • meet other students and spend time with new friends
  • study with others on your course
  • get involved with the Students’ Union or go to events they run
  • join disability groups, ethnic minority groups, lesbian, gay, bisexual and trans (LGBT) groups, religious groups, and so on
  • join clubs and societies, such as music, drama, dance or sports societies

You may need to talk to people online. There are a few ways you can connect with other students:

  • Check if your university has online forums and student communities or Facebook groups.
  • Look for Facebook groups for disabled students. For example, STAART welcomes disabled students from lots of different universities.
  • Use The Student Room to meet other students.
  • Talk to existing students with UCAS’ chat to uni students forum.

Last reviewed by Scope on: 06/01/2021

Was this page helpful?

We're sorry to hear that.

Tell us how we can improve it

Need more help at university?

Opens in a new windowOpens an external siteOpens an external site in a new window