Finding legal help

You can get legal advice paid for by your:

  • union or professional body, if you’re a member of one
  • some types of household insurance


Search for legal advisers (GOV.UK)

Local libraries will often have directories of solicitors.

Citizens Advice offers free, independent and confidential advice on legal issues online, by phone and in centres across the UK.

Law Centres

Law Centres offer free, independent legal advice within their local communities. Law Centres tend to specialise in social welfare law, but may also cover other areas of work. The Law Centres Network website provides an online search facility.

Pro bono legal help is voluntary advice and representation. It is often free of charge for those unable to pay and who are ineligible for legal aid. Organisations which provide this include:

  • LawWorks, the solicitors’ pro bono organisation. It connects people in need of legal advice and assistance with the skills and expertise of lawyers.
  • The Free Representation Unit, which offers free legal services in employment, social security and some criminal injury compensation cases.

University law clinics

Some universities provide free legal advice through law clinics, such as:

Search online for ‘University Law Clinics’ in your area.

If you need help to pay for legal advice or representation, you may sometimes be eligible for the legal aid scheme. Legal aid is available for some civil and criminal matters.

The Law Society’s website lists matters which may be eligible for legal aid.

Check if you can get legal aid (GOV.UK)

The Legal Aid Agency has published information explaining when you may be asked to contribute to your legal aid costs. 

Paying for your civil legal aid (GOV.UK)

Find a legal adviser or family mediator (GOV.UK)


Generally you will have the right to act on your own behalf in legal matters, including representing yourself in court as a “litigant in person”).

Download a PDF of A Handbook for Litigants in Person.

Source for this page: House of Commons Library research service.

This page is old. We hope it’s still useful, but we’re working on new content to replace it.

Was this page helpful?

We're sorry to hear that.

Tell us how we can improve it

Need more help?

Opens in a new windowOpens an external siteOpens an external site in a new window