Coronavirus: information and updates

What to do if you’re a carer during coronavirus

You should not visit the person you care for if you either:

  • have coronavirus symptoms
  • live with someone who has coronavirus symptoms 

Symptoms and what to do (NHS.UK)

Personal assistants working in adult social care in England can access weekly COVID-19 testing.

Coronavirus (COVID-19) testing for personal assistants (GOV.UK)

Where to get rapid lateral flow tests (NHS)

Warning If you are an unpaid carer

If you are an unpaid carer for a friend or family, the government has different advice for what you should do during coronavirus.

Guidance for unpaid carers (GOV.UK)

Make a plan for stopping your care duties

If you can, see if you can find someone you trust who can help. This could be neighbours, friends or family.

Your local Covid-19 Mutual Aid group may be able to help.

The Jointly app makes it easier to communicate with people providing care. Jointly is owned by Carers UK.

Emergency card schemes

In some areas there are emergency card schemes set up for carers. They are meant to help the person you support if something happens to you. Some schemes just notify named contacts. Others may offer personal care for the person you support.

You can usually find these in the social care section of your local authority’s websites.

It might be called:

  • carer card scheme
  • carers emergency card
  • emergency care scheme

Carers are usually asked to register.

Emergency plan

A plan should have things in it like:

  • the name, address and any other contact details of the person you look after
  • who you and the person you look after would like to be contacted in an emergency, this might include friends, family or professionals
  • medication the person you look after is taking
  • any ongoing treatment

Planning for emergencies (Carers UK)

Support from local organisations and volunteers

If you have to stop your care duties, the person you're caring for may be able to get some extra help.

Help with shopping 

Local authorities

Your local authority might have an emergency plan.

Find your local authority (GOV.UK)


Support where you live (Carers UK)

Stay in touch

Use anything that helps the person you support. For example:

  • video chat apps like Skype and FaceTime
  • telephone calls
  • text messages
  • letters

Watch out for scams

Find people you trust to support the person you are caring for. They should only give money to people they know.

Finding volunteers to shop for you


Be wary of emails offering help, even if you think they are from companies you know and trust. Never click links in emails that you're not expecting. Find the website for the company yourself.

Coronavirus scams (MoneyHelper)

If the person you are caring for has symptoms of coronavirus

You should follow safe working procedures for:

  • personal protective equipment
  • cleaning
  • laundry

What to do if you have coronavirus (COVID-19) or symptoms of COVID-19 (NHS.UK)

If the person you are caring for lives with someone who has symptoms of coronavirus

Government advice says that you can carry on being a carer if the person you are caring for can self-isolate in their home. This means they would need to:

  • stay at least 2 metres away from people with symptoms
  • use a separate place to wash and go to the toilet 

If they cannot self-isolate from the person with symptoms, you should treat them in the same way as if they have symptoms of coronavirus.

Last reviewed by Scope on: 25/03/2022

Was this page helpful?

We're sorry to hear that.

Tell us how we can improve it

Need more help?

Opens in a new windowOpens an external siteOpens an external site in a new window