Benefits and other ways of funding the extra costs of having a disabled child

If you are the parent or carer of a disabled child, you could get disability benefits, grants and advice about money. And as some benefits are not means-tested, you can work full-time and still receive money.

Information about benefits

Money Advice Service has information on disability benefits and entitlements for children. Your local authority must give you support, while advice is available from charities and voluntary organisations.

Benefits and support include:

Use a benefits calculator to find out what support and benefits you can claim.

Help with care

The Disability Living Allowance (DLA) is available for children under 16 who need extra looking after or have difficulty walking, even if they don’t have a diagnosis. Read more about the DLA eligibility criteria.

If you care for a disabled child for more than 35 hours a week, you can apply for Carer’s Allowance.

Local authorities must publish all services available to support disabled children, and their families in the area. This is called a ‘local offer’. It covers education, health and social care services. Speak to your social services department about what you can get.

Find your local authority

Help with travel

You can get help with your child’s bus and train travel. If your child travels for NHS treatment, the Healthcare Travel Costs Scheme will cover reasonable costs for them and an escort.

Contact your local authority for:

  • free school transport
  • disabled person’s bus passes, which give carers free or discounted travel if they are with someone with a pass

A Disabled Person’s Railcard gives the holder and a friend one third off rail fares.

Help with the home

Your local authority can provide a Disabled Facilities Grant (DFG) if you need specialist equipment or make changes to your home.

This includes:

  • wider doorways and ramps
  • special locks for external doors, fridges or cupboards containing hazardous items
  • stairlifts and a downstairs bathroom
  • adapting lighting and heating controls
  • specialist equipment for mobility or using the bathroom

Some organisations provide grants for items not covered by your local authority or the government.

Search for grants

Local advice

Look for a local agency who can provide advice on benefits, housing, jobs, legal issues and other practical help.

Find a local agency

Get local advice

Last reviewed by Scope on: 11/04/2018

Is this content helpful?

Great! Tell us how it helped.

We're sorry to hear that. Tell us how we can improve it.

Need more help?

Opens in a new windowOpens an external siteOpens an external site in a new window