Assistant shop manager job description
Job title: Assistant shop manager
Reports to: Shop manager - Retail
To work with the Shop Manager to effectively manage the day-to-day running of the shop with the aim of achieving optimum profit by maximising sales and controlling direct shop expenses and to manage and motivate the team working in the shop.
- Supervision of a team of shop volunteers
- To supervise and encourage the team of volunteers to maximise their potential through continuous learning.
- To assist in the recruitment, management and develop of volunteers within Scope’s HR and operational policies and procedures.
- To work seamlessly across department or team boundaries in a collaborative and constructive manner to implement Scope’s strategic direction.
- To demonstrate a commitment to customer service excellence and deliver against the requirements of Scope’s quality framework.
- To work within Scope’s policies and procedures at all times.
- To take responsibility for the shop in the absence of the Shop Manager, and ensure the smooth day to day running of the shop and be responsible for cash handling, banking and associated administration, ensuring that all till operations in accordance with Scope’s policies and procedures and the Shop Operating Manual.
- To assist the Shop Manager to manage all aspects of stock collection and preparation; ensuring that stock processing levels are sufficient to achieve required shop floor density, encouraging stock donations at all times.
- To ensure optimum use of stock sourced through donations, van collections, textile bank, recycling and engage in other stock generation methods and initiatives.
- To assist the Shop Manager to promote Gift Aid to customers.
- To demonstrate excellent customer service, internally and externally, always promoting good practice within the shop and providing guidance, feedback and coaching to the shop team as required.
- To meet required performance standards and targets. To support the Shop Manager by motivating and managing volunteers in the achievement of Key Performance Indicators targets.
- To participate fully in Scope’s Performance Management process.
- To assist in the management of a team of staff including volunteers with the aim to effectively run the shop on a daily basis and to regularly plan ahead in order to have a successful shop.
- To comply with Scope's policies and procedures, particularly in relation to shop security and health & safety regulations, and the completion of general administration tasks to required deadlines.
- To inform the appropriate manager of any concerns regarding non-compliance, in respect of Scope’s policies and procedures, ensuring that confidentiality is maintained at all times.
- To assist the Shop Manager in maintaining a good standard of housekeeping, in line with Scope’s Visual Merchandising and back office standards, creating an environment that is pleasant and safe for customers, shop staff and volunteers.
- To present a positive and professional image to customers, staff and volunteers at all times, being an ambassador for Scope.
- This is not an exhaustive list of responsibilities and the post holder will be expected to undertake other duties within the remit of the job and appropriate to their level of seniority as requested by the relevant line management.
Specific tasks assigned
- Follow the 4 weekly rotas for shop teams produced by the Shop Managers; to ensure adequate coverage of staff availability on peak trading days, weekends and seasonal periods - including Sundays, Bank holidays, Christmas and sales promotions.
- Attend and undertake any relevant key training workshops, events or meetings as required.
- Must work in other shops occasionally if requested.
- In line with the Shop Operating manual fully act and take responsibility of the duties assigned to a shop key holder.