Charity shop manager job description
Job title: Shop Manager
Reports to: Manager 2 – Retail Regional Operations
To effectively manage the day to day running of the shop, staff and volunteers, with the aim of achieving optimum profit, by maximising sales and controlling direct shop expenses.
- Management of 1 Assistant Shop Manager
- Management of team of shop volunteers
- Supervise and encourage team members and volunteers to maximise their potential through continuous learning whilst challenging and dealing with under performance.
- Recruit, manage and develop staff and volunteers within Scope’s HR and operational policies and procedures.
- Manage volunteers appropriately within the shop.
- Lead effective and engaging team meetings based on the Scope team meeting template, reporting back on key issues and questions raised.
- Work seamlessly across area, department or team boundaries in a collaborative and constructive manner to implement Scope’s strategic direction.
- Demonstrate a commitment to customer service excellence and deliver against the requirements of Scope’s quality framework.
- Work within Scope’s policies and procedures at all times.
- To ensure the shop sales performance is maximised, actively seeking ways to improve the shop’s performance on a continuous basis.
- To manage all aspects of stock collection and preparation; ensuring that stock processing levels are sufficient to achieve required shop floor density, encouraging stock donations at all times.
- To ensure optimum use of stock sourced through donations, van collections, textile bank, recycling and other stock generation methods.
- To actively engage in national stock generation initiatives to increase donated sales and to develop and implement local stock appeals in conjunction with the Area Manager.
- To demonstrate excellent customer service, internally and externally, always promoting good practice within the shop and providing guidance, feedback and coaching to the shop team as required.
- To meet required performance standards and targets. Motivating, managing and supporting shop staff and volunteers in the achievement of Key Performance Indicators targets.
- To be ultimately responsible for cash handling, banking and associated administration, ensuring that all till operations are carried out in accordance with Scope’s policies and procedures.
- To comply with Scope’s policies and procedures, particularly in relation to shop security and health and safety regulations, and the completion of general administration tasks to required deadlines.
- To inform Area Manager or other appropriate manager of any concerns regarding non-compliance, in respect of Scope’s policies and procedures, ensuring that confidentiality is maintained at all times.
- To conduct performance development reviews and staff PDPs in line with Scope procedures ensuring the Area Manager is advised of any identified training needs and performance issues.
- To maintain a good standard of housekeeping, in line with Scope’s Visual Merchandising and back office standards, creating an environment that is pleasant and safe for customers, shop staff and volunteers.
- To comply with and maintain excellent visual merchandising standards within the shop in line with Retail Shop Operation manual standards.
- To present a positive and professional image to customers, staff and volunteers at all times, being an ambassador for Scope.
- This is not an exhaustive list of responsibilities and the post holder will be expected to undertake other duties within the remit of the job and appropriate to their level of seniority as requested by the relevant line management.
Specific tasks assigned
- Produce and communicate 4 weekly rotas for shop teams to Area Manager; ensuring adequate coverage of staff availability on peak trading days, weekends and seasonal periods – including Sundays, Bank Holidays, Christmas and sales promotions.
- Attend and undertake any relevant key training workshops, events or meetings as required, playing an active role and carrying out all actions required following the events.
- Must work in other shops occasionally if requested.
- In line with the Shop Operating manual fully act and take responsibility of the duties assigned to a shop key holder.
Budget to be outlined with Area Manager, specific to the shop working in.