Helpline adviser job description
Job title: Helpline adviser
Salary: £22,000 to £24,000 per year
- Provide exemplar information and support to disabled people, their families, and professionals who work with them, covering all issues around disability.
- Manage the donations and manage the issues of donors when setting up regular or one-off donations, cancelling of donations or complaints regarding donations.
- Provide excellent customer service with a friendly and empathetic manner to all of Scope’s internal and external customers.
- Provide consistent high-quality responses to enquiries received at Scope’s Helpline via telephone, email, live chat, our online community and social networking channels, within set turnaround times.
- Ensure that customers feel valued and are provided with information that is tailored to meet individual need, is accurate, up to date and accessible to them.
- Become an expert in Scope’s services, so you can make the best recommendation to help customers.
- Provide excellent customer service with a friendly and empathetic manner.
- Continually update your knowledge around disability issues and to share learning across the team, in order to offer an expert service to Scope’s customers.
- Provide excellent customer service when managing donations and dealing with donor enquiries.
- Identify the correct person/department and efficiently transfer calls internally when customers ring with general enquiries.
- Ensure that details of all enquiries are logged accurately on the customer database in a timely manner and that quality data and information is maintained.
- Work within Scope’s policies relating to customer confidentiality and data protection.
- Follow Scope’s policy and process around safeguarding and to make decisions regarding relevant customers as appropriate.
- Promote Scope and its values around equality, inclusion and the social model of disability and to present a positive image of the organisation in all aspects of work.
- Contribute to team meetings and discussions and to proactively contribute to the continued improvement of the service.
Mandatory for all staff
- Work seamlessly across department or team boundaries in a collaborative and constructive manner to implement Scope’s strategic direction.
- Demonstrate a commitment to customer service excellence and deliver against the requirements of Scope’s quality framework.
- Work within Scope’s policies and procedures.
- CSE senior team
- Helpline manager
- National delivery managers
- Local delivery managers
- Extended customer and strategy team
- Human resources, finance, IT, and other support teams as required
- Corporate and fundraising teams
- Customers and third-party contacts
- Organisations - private, public and third sector who can support and enhance the delivery of the National Service
Qualifications, knowledge and experience
- At least 2 years’ experience working in a customer focused environment, preferably on a helpline.
- Demonstrable knowledge of more than one of the following areas relating to disabled people: benefits, disability rights, social care, enabled environments, housing, government policy relating to benefits and disability.
- Understanding of the importance and application of Plain English.
- Lived experience of disability.
- Demonstrable understanding of the social model of disability.
- Experience of communicating difficult and complex information via telephone.
Skills and competencies
- Demonstrable understanding of the social model of disability and clarity about the contribution of information and advice to achieving social change.
- Ability to communicate with a wide range of customers with an understanding of different needs and ability to respond to these.
- Effective person-centred listening and probing skills to respond to underlying issues and assist customers to make informed choices.
- Effective interpersonal skills and a positive and collaborative approach to work.
- Ability to be flexible, respond positively to change, work effectively under pressure and deal with conflicting priorities.
- Excellent written and verbal communication skills in order to be able to communicate with customers and colleagues in a clear, meaningful and effective way.
- Excellent IT skills particularly Microsoft Office and experience of using databases.
- Ability to work as part of high performing team in a busy, at times pressurised environment.
- Ability to organise workload, prioritise effectively and use own initiative.
- Excellent written English, spelling and grammar.
- Methodical, with excellent attention to detail.
- Experience of using social networking platforms to respond to customer enquiries and provide information.