Helpline advisor person specification
Job title: Helpline advisor
Reports to: Team leader
Department: Customer strategy and experience
Salary: £22,000 to £24,000 per year
Direct reports: None
Budget/Resource responsibility: None
Qualification, knowledge and experience
- At least two years’ experience working in a customer focused environment, preferably on a helpline.
- Demonstrable knowledge of more than one of the following areas relating to disabled people: benefits, disability rights, social care, enabled environments, housing, government policy relating to benefits and disability.
- Understanding of the importance and application of Plain English.
- Lived experience of disability.
- Demonstrable understanding of the social model of disability.
- Experience of communicating difficult and complex information via telephone.
Skills and competencies
- Demonstrable understanding of the social model of disability and clarity about the contribution of information and advice to achieving social change.
- Ability to communicate with a wide range of customers with an understanding of different needs and ability to respond to these.
- Effective person-centred listening and probing skills to respond to underlying issues and assist customers to make informed choices.
- Effective interpersonal skills and a positive and collaborative approach to work.
- Ability to be flexible, respond positively to change, work effectively under pressure and deal with conflicting priorities.
- Excellent written and verbal communication skills in order to be able to communicate with customers and colleagues in a clear, meaningful and effective way.
- Excellent IT skills particularly Microsoft Office and experience of using databases.
- Ability to work as part of high performing team in a busy, at times pressurised environment.
- Ability to organise workload, prioritise effectively and use own initiative.
- Excellent written English, spelling and grammar.
- Methodical, with excellent attention to detail.
- Experience of using social networking platforms to respond to customer enquiries and provide information.