- As advertised
- £33,681 per year
- 35 hours per week
- Full time
Working at Scope
- Be a disability gamechanger
- 27 days holiday per year
- Flexible working
- Discounts at gyms, restaurants and more
- To maximise sales and effectively manage expenditure to achieve profit targets.
- To manage and lead an Area team to drive performance.
- To support and deliver key activities from the Retail Strategy and Business Plan.
- To identify and develop the potential in people across the Area.
- To build effective relationships and work collaboratively with internal and external stakeholders.
- To positively promote the brand with the general public in the local community.
- Providing line management support and direction to a team of Shop Managers in order for them to drive the performance of their shops
- To continuously strive to improve and deliver results in accordance with set budgets and key objectives.
- To manage Stock Collectors and the distribution of stock for the Area in order to increase sales.
- To influence work around Retail’s strategy and operational business planning.
- To implement all national policies and procedures and ensure all Health and Safety regulations are met.
People Management and Leadership
- To recruit, support, motivate and develop direct reports, ensuring that employees are aware of Scope’s policies and procedures and adhere to them.
- To manage the performance, conduct and behaviour of direct reports through effective supervision and performance management skills, addressing matters of concern in line with Scope’s policies and procedures.
- To identify training and development needs and organise appropriate learning opportunities in conjunction with the People Development team.
- To coach direct line reports on a regular basis.
- To effectively complete annual appraisals, quarterly supervision meetings and set performance objectives in line with Scope’s Appraisal procedures.
- To support and guide Shop Managers with volunteer recruitment and retention by finding innovative ways of attracting and retaining new supporters.
- To identify talented people in the Area and to agree personal development support and succession planning opportunities for them in conjunction with the People Development team.
- To run effective Area Meetings for Shop Managers (and where appropriate Assistant Managers)
- To efficiently complete all administrative procedures relating to people issues, financial controls and operational performance in line with organisational policies and procedures.
- To maximise sales and profits and ensure that shops are run according to policy and procedures
- To exceed donated sales budgets
- To maximise non donated income, as agreed with the Divisional Manager.
- To carry out regular competitor analysis
- To ensure that shops are adequately stocked from a variety of sources; monitor the effectiveness of stock generation, including van collections and to take action as necessary to maximise return.
- To ensure that the national pricing guidelines are adhered to, ensuring that the maximum potential price is asked for all stock and that prices reflect the demographic locality of the shop.
- To monitor front and back of house procedures, including merchandising, stock control, and customer service in line with agreed standards.
- To increase Gift Aid conversion rates, supporting shop teams to maximise performance success.
- To act upon and implement any operational directives from Retail and to oversee and monitor and manage shop compliance to the changes communicated.
- To demonstrate and monitor levels of customer service given by Shop teams through observations, coaching and feedback, ensuring maximum satisfaction from the public and supporters.
- To undertake regular shop visits and maintain a schedule of visits for the whole Area.
Financial and Security Controls
- Have a clear understanding of cost control and continuously minimise costs for the Area.
- To act upon information given around expenditure and income and to review monthly P&L accounts and expenditure reports, taking the necessary steps to address any concerns or overspend to budget.
- To use the Shop Visit Report to check security procedures and financial controls and to take action as agreed with the Divisional Manager
- To manage the appropriate staffing levels for individual shops, in accordance with the salary budget and set criteria.
- To provide information to the Divisional Manager to influence realistic budgets for the area of operation and to set budgets for individual shops and maintain core costs and profit within budget.
- To monitor sales performance against a weekly budget and monthly expenditure and to take action, communicating issues and barriers with the Divisional Manager.
- To ensure that accounting procedures are followed at all times and that attention is given in a prompt and accurate way to the processing of supplier invoices and paperwork.
Collaborative working and corporate image
- To build and manage internal and external relationships with the aim of increasing supporter engagement, generating quality stock and to ensure shops are able to support key Scope activities.
- To ensure that Scope’s Brand is promoted in accordance with the organisation’s guidelines.
Shop Maintenance, refits and new shop openings
- To advise the Divisional Manager of maintenance and shop refit work in order to inform the budget process.
- To minimise loss of income during refits and maintenance work.
- To support the acquisition and disposal of shops as and when required.
The post-holder is expected to work to further the vision, purpose and beliefs of Scope, and to comply with Scope’s policies and procedures.
This is not an exhaustive list of responsibilities and the post-holder will be expected to undertake other duties within the remit of the job and appropriate to their level of seniority as requested by relevant line management.
The job description will be kept under review to ensure that it remains up to date. The job holder will be consulted about any proposed changes.
Knowledge and Skills
- Substantial retail management experience, including multi-site shop experience
- Track record of effectively managing and leading remote teams
- Experience of recruiting and developing staff and line management responsibilities
- Experience of delivering coaching, mentoring and giving feedback to direct reports
- Able to manage and influence financial controls and able to read, understand and action information on financial reports including Profit and Loss accounts (analytical skills).
- Able to solve problems efficiently and effectively and make decisions
- Excellent communication skills, both verbal and written, to a wide range of people
- Able to make decisions
- Proven influencing and negotiation skills
- Good planning and organisational skills
- Proven record of working and influencing peer and team performance
- Knowledge of current fashion and merchandising practices
- Awareness of issues relating to recruiting and working with volunteers
- Knowledge of health and safety legislation.
- Ability to work on own initiative and be fully accountable, taking responsibility for all aspects of the day to day management of the area, including staff performance.
- Ability to set and monitor shop budgets
- Able to plan and prioritise the work of self and others
Work Related Circumstances
The role requires you to:
- Have a full and clean driving license
- Be able to travel extensively within the designated area and within the UK, including overnight stays when required.
- Able to work some Saturdays and Sundays & Bank Holidays
- To attend an induction program and development training when identified
- Outside of business hours you are the main point of contact for shop teams and need to be able to react accordingly when required.
- To cover other Area Managers during times of absence.
Job Breadth and Communication
- Able to identify opportunities to maximise income, including non-retail income
- Ability to build and maintain an effective team, developing and managing their performance and potential.
- To take full accountability for the management and leadership of the Area.
- To be able to seek the appropriate authorisation for matters outside of own jurisdiction.
Problem Solving/Creative Effort
- Ability to be flexible and to display an innovative and creative approach to problem solving.
Accountability and Impact
- Proven experience of successful profit/sales achievement