Overall purpose of Role:
The Database and Analysis Manager will lead the database team through a period of profound change, as Scope migrates from our existing Raisers Edge supporter Database to Microsoft Dynamics 365.
Your first task will be to stabilise the team, before developing a strategic vision and plan for their development, to ensure they are able to provide the data, insight and anlaysis that will drive our customer and supporter strategies when the new system launches.
As well as managing significant change you will continue to manage and deliver existing processes and workflows in our existing database, making interim improvements where feasible. You will support the team by taking on hands-on tasks as well as allocating them within the team.
You will work collegiately with colleagues in several departments across Scope responsible for providing insight, as the organisation develops its overall data and analytical capabilities, ensuring your own team’s growing role complements and supports activity elsewhere in the organisation.
You will also work closely with our Dynamics 365 and Supporter Journeys projects, and in particular with the data and integrations lead on the project team as they structure and deliver our new D365 database, ensuring the knowledge and expertise of your team is fully exploited and your team is prepared to work with the new system.
Main responsibilities and accountabilities:
- Develop a strategic plan for the development of the database team
- To support teams across Scope by ensuring they have access to quality data that is accurate, compliant and effective.
- To support the delivery of timely and relevant supporter communications with data selections, export/import processes and analysis reporting.
- To manage the data for financial transactions, ensuring the database has an up-to-date record of all payments.
- To oversee and manage the BACS process and other financial processes that require supporter data (eg Gift Aid).
- To effectively recruit lead and manage your team, ensuring development in line with Scope’s HR and operational policies.
- To encourage team members to maximise potential through continuous learning and development whilst challenging and dealing with underperformance.
- To work seamlessly across the organisation in a collaborative and constructive manner to implement Scope’s strategic direction
Role specific accountabilities:
- To develop a database and analysis strategy that will support our fundraising and other engagement strategies, ensuring we have the right structure, skills and resources within the team.
- To plan and manage the team’s continuous delivery of services to stakeholders in the organisation, ensuring the right data is provided in a timely manner, processes are streamlined and bottlenecks addressed.
- To understand the short- to long-term strategies and plans of all the individual teams that use fundraising data and ensure that the database team is set up and resourced to meet these needs.
- To develop data structures and database coding systems that support Scope’s fundraising and stakeholder strategies and plans.
- To implement Scope's new organisational-wide segmentation as we roll it out across the database, ensuring all staff are clear on how to use and manage the new data effectively.
- To oversee and manage the data processes for supporter communications relating to campaigning, volunteering and retail.
- Direct and support the CRM project data lead to ensure that project delivers a well-structured product with data that is relevant and fit for purpose.
- Following the launch of the new Dynamics CRM, play a leading role in guiding its ongoing development and support, alongside colleagues in IT and elsewhere.
- To work collegiately in a matrix environment as Scope develops its organisation-wide data and insight capabilities, to ensure the combined output of several teams is coherent and effort does not overlap.
- To forecast and manage the annual team budget.
- To proactively manage third-party suppliers and hold tenders for new projects and developments as and when required
- To support reporting and management of data risk, alongside Scope’s governance and risk leads.
Grade specific competencies:
- Lead effective and engaging monthly team meetings
- To recruit, manage and develop staff within Scope’s HR and operational policies and procedures.
- To utilise volunteers appropriately within the department.
- To encourage and appreciate staff who support Scope outside of their job role by volunteering in shops, events or services or by other discretionary efforts.
- To encourage team members to maximise potential through continuous learning whilst challenging and dealing with under performance.
- Ensure effective and engaging monthly team meetings
Head of Digital and Data
Executive Director Fundraising and Marketing
Retention and Engagement Lead
Head of Fundraising
Head of Finance
Commercial Finance Manager
Various Agencies – Data providers, Data Cleaning
Knowledge and experience
- Demonstrates their ability to lead a customer database team, providing clear direction on work tasks and priorities, and developing the team.
- Demonstrates an ability to work with, envisage, plan and communicate significant change in people, data processes and database technologies.
- Demonstrates an ability to work with peers elsewhere in the organisation to deliver cross-organisational and decentralised insight and analysis.
- Experience managing customer and supporter databases, and working with integrated marketing automation systems.
- Experience or demonstrable understanding of system integrations with CRM systems to ensure a reliable complete view of the customer.
- Lived experience of disability
- Demonstrable understanding of the social model of disability
Skills and competencies
- Has experience of planning and implementing a programme of data analysis, modeling and reporting that has contributed to significant income growth in a fundraising context.
- Demonstrates the ability to understand and develop database and analysis plans to meet the needs of teams based on requirements.
- Demonstrates the ability to develop database coding structures that support recording and reporting requirements of fundraising.
- Experience of commissioning and implementing new database/software systems.
- Experience of managing budgets.
- Advanced Excel, Access and some experience of using SPSS and SQL.
- Experience of working with one or both Raiser’s Edge and Microsoft
- An understanding of fundraising principals.
- An understanding of Gift Aid and Direct Debit processing.
- Experience of using other Microsoft tools.
- Dynamics 365.