Divisional Manager South
- South Region
- £50,000 per year
- 35 hours per week (Monday to Friday)
- Full time, permanent
Working at Scope
- Be a disability gamechanger
- 27 days holiday per year
- Flexible working
- Discounts at gyms, restaurants and more
The Divisional Manager – South, is responsible for leading a team of 6 Area Managers, 200 shop colleagues and 2000 volunteers across c. 100 shops. The role’s purpose is to deliver sales and profit targets. Plus amplify our voice within our communities to help deliver everyday equality for disabled people and their families. The role will achieve this by bringing to life, and delivering Scope’s retail strategy, which is based around the 3 pillars of Customer, Colleague and Community.
Key accountabilities and responsibilities
- Provide inspirational and motivational leadership for the southern team of Area Managers, Shop and Assistant Shop Managers and volunteers.
- Role model leadership behaviours to the Area Manager team.
- Develop the Area Manager team to effectively lead their teams.
- Inspire teams to work creatively within the communities in which they operate. Work with them to identify, create, and deliver strategies to improve performance, identify opportunities to increase sales and stock, attract and retain volunteers, and amplify Scope’s voice by promoting our cause.
- Ensure our shops deliver a great commercial offer to our customers.
- Create and manage sales budgets, forecasts, and costs.
- Identify and exploit promotional opportunities.
- Apply a commercial approach to management of the South division’s retail estate, including new shop openings, refurbs, re-sites, and closures.
- Drive the delivery of a first-class customer experience in every retail shop on the division.
- Maintain and support the corporate identity of Scope through our shops.
- Drive regular competitor analysis activity and the monitoring of market trends throughout the division. And put in place action plans as necessary.
- Ensure that our colleagues and shops operate in a safe manner.
Knowledge and Experience
- Experience and knowledge of retail/multi-site small shop environment.
- Significant experience of leading a large, diverse, and geographically dispersed workforce and achieving outstanding results.
- Demonstrable experience of managing and motivating a workforce of both colleagues and volunteers and winning hearts minds.
- Experience of working collaboratively across an organisation and connecting with different teams and departments to influence and advocate Retail’s work.
- An understanding of profit and loss accounting and the influence of operating factors (e.g., volume versus price)
- Demonstrable experience of managing large budgets.
- Operating knowledge of health and safety legislation
- Understanding and knowledge of charity retailing.
- Understanding and/ or knowledge of Gift Aid legislation.
- Disabled or lived experience of disability
- Understanding of the social model of disability.
Skills and competencies
- Significant emotional intelligence.
- Excellent interpersonal skills; verbal and written.
- Ability to inspire and coach colleagues to deliver results.
- Ability to communicate with and influence a wide range of stakeholders from senior managers to shop volunteers.
- Ability to project manage work, e.g., when delivering aspects of the retail plan.
- Ability to set standards and monitor performance.
- Ability to analyse large amounts of data and make decisions
- Ability to organise, prioritise, and maintain a changing and complex workload.
- Proficient in the use of Microsoft Office (Outlook, Word, Excel, and PowerPoint)
- Willingness to be hands on when necessary.
- Full, clean, UK driving licence.
- Retail field team, including Divisional Manager colleague, Area Manager reports and shop management colleagues and volunteers.
- Retail support team, e.g., Retail Store Operations and Logistics.
- Scope colleagues in other key departments, such as Finance, Property, HR and Volunteering, Marketing, Comms, and IT.
- Suppliers and partners related to Scope’s retail operation
- Charity Retail Association (CRA) contacts
- Senior retail managers from the commercial sector.