Information officer - benefits
Leeds - Closes on 31/05/2019Apply
- Leeds city centre
- £28,000 to £30,000 per year
- 35 hours per week (Monday to Friday)
- Full time, permanent
Working at Scope
- Be a disability gamechanger
- 27 days holiday per year
- Discounts at gyms, shops, theatres and more
- Generous pension
Scope are looking for an Information officer – benefits, to work across our services providing up to date information and training to enable us to support our customers with benefits enquiries.
You will provide information and support to disabled people, families, professionals and members of the public around the subject of welfare benefits by:
- Responding to enquiries posted on the Scope online community.
- Identifying the need for and creating new content and information products that respond to external need.
- Providing training and support to helpline staff to enable them to respond to enquiries about benefits.
Full job description
To succeed in this role you will need:
- Excellent, up to date knowledge of welfare benefits and the welfare rights of disabled people.
- At least two years' experience working in a customer focused environment, preferably as a practitioner providing information, advice and support to people needing benefits.
- Understanding of the importance and application of Plain English.
- Experience of training people.
- Excellent written and verbal communication skills in order to be able to communicate with stakeholders in a clear, meaningful and effective way
- Excellent IT skills particularly Microsoft Office and experience of using databases.
- Knowledge of current issues that affect disabled people and those around them, specifically welfare rights, benefits and financial issues.
- Experience of researching, writing and producing information materials to suit the needs of the target audience, specifically around benefits.
- Ability to organise workload, prioritise effectively and use own initiative.
- Excellent written English, spelling and grammar
Full person specification
Delivering equality for disabled people is fundamental to Scope. This applies as much to the way we work as to our commitment to the engagement and participation of disabled people in delivering our mission. We are building a culture where difference is valued, especially in relation to disability, where every individual can contribute meaningfully.
At Scope our mission is to drive social change so that disabled people have the same opportunities as everyone else. We want to achieve everyday equality and support disabled people to get the best start in life, live the life they choose and be financially secure.
Find out more about Scope
Equality and inclusion are at the heart of Scope’s mission and we are committed to creating a diverse and inclusive workplace with equality of opportunity for everyone.
We welcome applications from disabled people, and guarantee interviews to disabled applicants who meet the minimum job criteria. Please let us know in your application if you would like to be considered for this.