Scope has an ambitious strategy, focused on achieving everyday equality for and with disabled people. This is a very exciting time to join the legacies team as we continue to invest in this key area of fundraising. By generating engagement in legacies now, we’re securing the future of our work and enhancing our ability to achieve our long-term goals. The Legacy Fundraiser will work closely with the Legacy Lead to develop and deliver Scope’s legacy and in memory fundraising strategy.
Using a mix of fundraising channels including; direct marketing, social media, events and other relationship building initiatives, this role will help build and maintain a robust pipeline of legacy and in memory prospects and supporters to ensure the long-term success of the programme.
This is a crucial role responsible for the day-to-day delivery of Scope’s legacy and in memory fundraising activity as well as delivering individual campaigns. This position will provide ample opportunity for creative thinking, generating new ideas and be an excellent springboard for personal development. A passion and energy for fundraising will be vital to success in this role.
Main responsibilities and accountabilities:
Legacy and In Memory Fundraising:
- To grow the number of Legacy and In Memory supporters of Scope
- To help create, implement and oversee a sustainable legacy and in memory fundraising programme in order to maximise these vital income streams
- Develop and maintain the existing legacy fundraising programme and work with Legacy and In-mem Lead to create an In Memory strategy to transition Scope from a reactive approach to a proactive way of fundraising
- Support the Legacy and In Memory Lead to develop and maintain a robust legacy supporter journey, stewarding them along the pipeline from enquirers to legacy pledgers.
- Build an in-depth knowledge of Scope’s work and stories then communicating these in an inspiring way to both warm and cold audiences.
- To develop and project manage end-to-end Scope’s legacy and in memory marketing communications including; Direct Mail, Telemarketing, Social Media, Digital and Events.
- Work closely with the Marketing Team to develop and produce a suite of legacy and in memory marketing materials that can be used to engage and inspire supporters to take action.
- Prepare briefs, collate information and liaise with key internal and external stakeholders to deliver engaging and impactful messaging.
- Manage key supplier and agency relationships on a day-to-day basis to deliver successful legacy and in memory campaigns, building strong relationships to ensure Scope receives the best possible service and value for money.
- Project manage Scope’s annual events such as legacy awareness week and free wills month with a strong focus on internal and external promotion as well as engaging retail staff and volunteers.
- Ensure our digital presence (website, social media, etc.) is consistent with and enhances our wider legacy and in memory messaging.
- Be the ‘go to’ person for all legacy and in memory fundraising related matters from across the organisation; liaising with the Legacy and In Memory Lead and Senior Legacy Officer where needed, to provide an informed response.
- Provide excellent supporter care for individual legacy and in memory supporters
- Keep accurate and up to date GDPR compliant records.
- Ensure there are appropriate cultivation and stewardship activities to give current and potential supporters the chance to experience our work.
- Support the Senior Legacy Officer to effectively manage Scope’s free Will writing service.
- Work closely with marketing and communications teams to ensure a joined up approach across campaigns both internally and externally.
- To work efficiently across department and team boundaries in a collaborative and constructive manner to implement Scope’s strategic direction.
- To demonstrate a commitment to customer service excellence and deliver against the requirements of Scope’s quality framework.
- To work within Scope’s policies and procedures at all times.
- To utilise volunteers within the department.
Legacy and In Memory Team colleagues
Public Fundraising Team colleagues
Marketing and Digital Team colleagues
Wider Fundraising and Engagement department colleagues
All other staff teams and volunteers; particularly retail
Suppliers and agencies
Scope supporters, prospects and pledgers
Fundraising and marketing networking groups
- Strong relevant experience in fundraising and/or marketing within the charitable sector.
- Marketing/Fundraising qualification
Knowledge and Experience
- Experience of developing and project managing a variety of marketing activity, campaigns and other projects within budget and on time.
- Experience of developing new ideas and concepts from conception to delivery.
- Experience of managing external agencies and internal stakeholders to deliver successful campaigns
- Knowledge and understanding of the importance of the legacies income stream and how this fits into overall organisational plans.
- An understanding of fundraising compliance, data protection and best practice.
- Experience/knowledge of legacy specific fundraising and marketing
- Experience/knowledge of In Memory specific fundraising and marketing
- Demonstrable understanding of the social model of disability
Skills and competencies
- Excellent project management skills, ability to work on multiple tasks at the same time.
- Self-starter. Highly organised with an ability to work systematically to targets and deadlines and able to work under pressure.
- Ability to work on own initiative and to prioritise workloads without direct supervision.
- Highly efficient with excellent attention to detail.
- Copywriting / proof reading skills.
- Excellent relationship management skills – a genuine people person.
- Excellent written and oral communication skills with the confidence to talk to supporters in person, over the phone and to correspond via mail and email.
- The ability to show empathy and with good emotional intelligence
- Good problem-solving skills with ability to react quickly, to manage any issues or complaints.
- Undertake appropriate personal development to maintain and develop skills and knowledge.
- A team player, committed to Scope’s ethos and values.
- Practical and confident in the use of MS Office packages (Teams, Word, Excel, PowerPoint and Outlook).
- Experience of The Raiser’s Edge and FirstClass databases or equivalent