The Retail Commercial Lead will work in partnership with the Retail Commercial Manager to develop a new strategic direction for new product development for our shops and online business. The role will also collaborate with the Retail Creative Lead to develop pioneering new product that puts the customer at the heart and optimises profit and brand awareness.
This new role will also play a pivotal role in buying new product whilst improving and implementing a new approach to buying and merchandising for shops and online. Ensuring we have the right new product, in the right quantities, at the right time and at the right price. It will also manage the day to day running of the Scope Online Shop, including uploading all new content, offers, photography and ensuring stock levels remain stable.
Key accountabilities and responsibilities:
- Assist the Retail Commercial Manager to deliver a refreshed new goods and Scope Own label strategy, which puts the customer at the heart.
- Work with the Retail Commercial Manager and Retail Creative Lead to plan cohesive and pioneering new ranges of products to sell in our shops and online.
- Collabarate with external supplier(s) to develop a new stock control system to ensure we have the right new product, in the right quantities, at the right time and at the right price across our shops and online.
- Work hand in hand with Scope’s Creative Lead to ensure a seamless process from product design to purchase.
- Assist the Retail Commercial Manager to develop a new strategic direction for the supply chain of new product to our shops.
- Engage and negotiate with suppliers and manufacturers over contractual terms, including price, quantities, and delivery times.
- Buy new product in line with agreed contractual terms for shops and online.
- Assist the Retail Commercial Manager with planning, budgets, and forecasting.
- Manage the relationship, including SLA’s, with our internal and external fulfilment teams.
- Provide robust analysis, including product, range performance and forecasting for shops and online.
- Generate new range ideas from various sources, including trade fairs, other retailers, and through Scope customer, and colleague feedback.
- Actively engage with the Retail field team to gather customer feedback on product and use this insight to continuously improve.
- Work with the Retail field team to develop stock exit strategies when required, including promotions and markdowns.
- Be responsible for the day to day running of the online shop, including loading new products, photography, editing pages and offers.
- Work with the external developer for our online shop to develop new initiatives and improvements to the site.
- Assist the Retail Commercial Manager in driving promotion of our new product and our new online shop via current and new prospective social media channels.
Retail Creative Lead
Scope’s Online Sales and Warehouse teams (based in Manchester)
Retail Store Support and Operations team
Retail field team, including Divisional Managers, Area Managers, shop colleagues.
Scope’s Procurement team
Scope’s Marketing and Social Media teams
Scope’s Digital team
Charity contacts, including the Charity Retail Association (CRA)
Suppliers and manufacturers
Scope’s Retail customers
Ecommerce software developer (Shopify)
Artists and designers, with a particular focus on disability
Merchandising system provider(s)
Print on demand suppliers Person specification
Knowledge and experience
- Extensive experience in managing merchandise across multiple locations within set budgets and sales targets.
- Buying and merchandising experience with a large omni-channel retailer (bricks and mortar and online).
- Experience of implementing new initiatives for online trading.
- Experience of online and retail processes including Google Analytics and Search Engine Optimisation (SEO)
- Experience of accurately forecasting trends, planning stock levels and monitoring product performance.
- Excellent knowledge of Retail Management Systems and tracking sales performance data across key KPIs: profit margin, average transaction value (ATV), and stock holding.
- Experience in building cohesive ranges across shops and online
- Experience of managing budgets.
- Knowledge of manufacturing, supply chain and logistics.
- Demonstrable understanding of brand properties.
- Experience in ensuring compliance with policies, contracts, SLAs, and legislation.
- Experience of managing social media channels
- Disabled or lived experience of disability.
- Already connected with disabled designers, artists, and suppliers who we could approach to come on board and work with Scope.
- Experience of using the ecommerce software, Shopify
- Charity Retail experience
Skills and competencies
- Creative, commercially minded thinker
- Excellent interpersonal skills: ability to work collaboratively, build relationships and communicate with a wide range of stakeholders.
- Ability to challenge the status quo and proactively look for new opportunities to improve Scope’s approach to buying and merchandising.
- Excellent mathematical and analytical skills
- Strong MS Excel skills
- Ability to horizon scan and recognise future consumer trends and behaviours.
- Strong negotiation and communication skills, with the ability to drive hard bargains with suppliers.
- Good research skills
- Excellent planning, organising and time management skills.
- Great attention to detail
- Can do, proactive, flexible, and adaptable attitude.
- Ability to multi-task and problem solve, able to prioritise workload and deliver results consistently on-time and within budget.
- Ability to understand Scope’s strategy and goals and use this to promote brand awareness.
- Delivery focused with a passion for quality and innovation.
- Willingness to step in and help team members during busy periods.
- Understanding of accessible design