Retail Commercial Manager
The role is home based with regular travel to meet with suppliers and manufacturers and to visit stores to conduct research. Also, to Scope’s head office in Stratford for meetings as required (pending lockdown restrictions etc.). The potential for overnight stays.
- Home based
- £38,000 - £40,000 per year
- 35 hours per week (Monday to Friday)
- Full time, permanent
Working at Scope
- Be a disability gamechanger
- 27 days holiday per year
- Flexible working
- Discounts at gyms, restaurants and more
The Retail Commercial Manager is the strategic lead for new goods, Scope Own label, and the new online shop. The role is accountable for leading on the creation and development of pioneering new product ranges - both for our stores and new online shop – which put the customer at the heart and optimise profit and brand awareness. This post will also be responsible for managing the online shop to deliver set targets and KPIs.
Key accountabilities and responsibilites:
- Deliver a pioneering New Goods and Own Label strategy, which puts the customer at the heart.
- Develop pioneering new product ranges to sell in our shops – including the new Store of the Future (planned to launch March 2022) – and in our new Online shop (launching Sept 2021).
- Work with the Online Sales Manager to develop a new strategic direction for the supply chain of new product to our shops.
- Actively manage the end-to-end process for new product – taking responsibility for price, return on investment (ROI), quality, and delivery.
- Proactively research new trends, product ideas and innovations to spot opportunities to grow profit and brand awareness.
- Collaborate with Scope’s Marketing and Campaigns teams to develop new product ranges that align with our campaigns and maximise brand awareness.
- Present ideas for new product ranges along with a cost-analysis to the Head of Customer Proposition for sign-off.
- Collaborate with disabled designers, artists, suppliers, and manufacturers to co-create new product range(s).
- Develop a strategy to bring on board artists to work on product design for Scope, with a particular focus on artists with disabilities.
- Manage the relationships with manufacturers and designers on new product ideas ensuring that Scope’s brand guidelines are met.
- Accountability for delivering key KPIs for the new online shop.
- Develop and manage the marketing schedule, including email, PR, and social media.
- To drive promotion of our new product and our new online shop via current and new prospective social media channels.
- Assist the Head of Customer Proposition with planning, budgets, and forecasting
- Prepare budgets, sales, forecasts, P&Ls, and analysis reports.
- Collaborate with Scope’s Digital team to ensure Retail’s presence on our website is accurate and up to date.
Scope’s Warehouse team (Manchester)
Retail Store Support and Operations team
Retail field team, including Divisional Managers, Area Managers, shop colleagues.
Scope’s Marketing and Social Media teams
Scope’s Campaigns and Communications team (Strategy, Impact and Social Change)
Scope’s Procurement team
Scope’s Data and Insight team
Scope’s Digital team
Suppliers and manufacturers
Disabled artists, designers, suppliers, and manufacturers
Scope’s Retail customers
Online shop developer
Charity contacts, including the Charity Retail Association (CRA)
Knowledge and experience
- Experience in developing product from concept to delivery.
- Experience of managing an online shop (Shopify), working with an external developer and internal teams.
- Demonstrable understanding and experience of working with brand properties.
- Experience in purchasing for bricks and mortar retail
- Experience of purchasing for online trading.
- Experience of developing marketing campaigns and promotions
- Demonstrable understanding of manufacturing, supply, import and logistic chains.
- Extensive experience of planning and developing cohesive seasonal ranges of new product.
- Experience of developing and implementing a strategy
- Demonstrable experience of project managing a concept through to delivery
- Experience of using Google Analytics and Search Engine Optimisation (SEO).
- Disabled or lived experience of disability.
- Experience of merchandising
- Already connected with disabled designers, artists, and suppliers who we could approach to come on board and work with Scope.
Skills and competencies
- Excellent communication skills, both verbal and written.
- Excellent influencing and negotiating skills.
- Creative, commercially minded thinker with strong business acumen
- Strong research skills.
- Strong marketing skills
- Ability to challenge the status quo and proactively look for new opportunities to improve Scope’s approach to buying and merchandising.
- Excellent planning, organising and time management skills.
- Ability to understand Scope’s strategy and goals and use this to drive brand awareness.
- Ability to work collaboratively with colleagues from across the organisation.
- Ability to respond and embrace change.
- Ability to create and implement a strategy.
- Ability to run a project from concept to delivery.
- Ability to multi-task and problem solve whilst delivering results consistently on-time and within budget.
- Understanding of accessible design