Retail Health and Safety Lead
The role is field based and requires extensive travel throughout England and Wales with some overnight stays - Closes on 20/08/2021
- The role is field based and requires extensive travel throughout England and Wales with some overnight stays
- £30,000 - £35,000 per year dependent on experience
- 35 hours per week (Monday to Friday)
- Full time, 12 Months Fixed Term Contract
Working at Scope
- Be a disability gamechanger
- 27 days holiday per year
- Flexible working
- Discounts at gyms, restaurants and more
The Retail Health and Safety Lead is responsible for acting as a critical friend to the Retail team to help keep our colleagues and customers safe. To promote and develop a safety culture. Building the team’s confidence and capability to manage and mitigate risk across our estate and work collaboratively with other key stakeholders.
Main responsibilities and accountabilities:
- Work collaboratively with Retail colleagues to identify, mitigate, and reduce the likelihood and / or impact of risks occurring across our estate of around 200 shops, 800 colleagues and 3500 volunteers. This will involve site visits to assess colleague and customer safety.
- Work with the Retail Online Sales team to ensure our new warehouse is set up to prioritise colleague safety.
- Oversee and update the Retail Risk Register working with all stakeholders to ensure any mitigations are acted upon in a timely manner.
- Work with the Retail Store Operations and Support Manager to ensure risk management becomes business as usual and keep the Retail risk register alive.
- Work seamlessly with Scope’s Health and Safety Manager to provide updates, escalate themes and trends, and discuss any remedial action where necessary.
- Design and deliver training to colleagues around risk management and health and safety where appropriate.
- Design and deliver compliance and safety audits periodically to ensure we are delivering upon agreed actions and aims.
- Work with other internal stakeholders to promote and develop a culture of compliance across all areas of risk including corporate governance and safeguarding.
Retail field team, including Divisional Managers, Area Managers, and shop teams
Retail Senior Leadership Team
Retail Online Sales team, who will soon be based in a new warehouse
Scope’s Corporate Finance and Risk Manager
Scope’s Health & Safety Manager
Scope’s Safeguarding team
Scope’s Learning and Development team
Charity Retail Association
Knowledge and experience
- Experience of working in an audit / risk / health and safety role within the Retail and/ or hospitality industries across multiple sites.
- Demonstrable experience of identifying near misses and preventing work related accidents.
- NEBOSH General or NCRQ Health and Safety Certification.
- Knowledge of DDA legislation and accessibility.
- Understanding of the social model of disability.
- Disabled or lived experience of disability.
- In-depth understanding of H&S legislation
- Knowledge of safeguarding legislation in relation to vulnerable adults
Skills and competencies
- Skilled in risk management and/ or health and safety.
- Collaborative style, able to act as a critical friend to senior colleagues, positively influencing them and holding them to account.
- Strong analytical and problem-solving skills: ability to proactively identify risks and establish the root causes of accidents.
- Ability to quickly build credibility, using influencing skills to build buy-in for change.
- Self-motivated with the ability to manage and prioritise workload.
- Excellent communication skills, verbal and written, dynamic with the ability to adapt approach dependant on audience.
- Understand and support Scope’s mission, culture, and values (Pioneering, Courageous, Connected, Open, Fair)