Stories Assistant job description
Job title: Stories assistant
Reports to: Senior stories officer
Department: Marketing, fundraising and communications
Salary: £17,000 to £18,000
Direct reports: None
Budget/Resource responsibility: NonePerson specification
Overall purpose of the role
To support the Stories Team by gathering stories from disabled people engaged in Scope’s online community and social media channels, as well as disabled people who reach out to Scope with their experience or story.
Your focus will be to support the Stories team and grow a small database of storytellers that will be used across reactive media enquiries, social media, Scope’s website, and potentially be used in marketing projects.
Main responsibilities and accountabilities
- With support from the Stories Team, and guided by a list of themes, topics and issues - you’ll liaise with the online community, social media team and other teams in Scope to spot storytellers and gather their stories.
- As an active member of the online community, you’ll monitor conversations, and work with the online community team to identify and reach out to new storytellers.
- Via email and over the phone, you’ll interview storytellers you’ve identified, following Scope’s storytelling process.
- You'll write short summaries on storytellers you’ve identified, and manage their basic information and create an up to date log and regularly update the key teams on new storytellers.
- You’ll gain consent from storytellers to hold their basic information, and be a point of contact for teams wishing to use their stories (press and social media)
- You’ll potentially commission storytellers to write articles for Scope’s website or transform into social media posts.
- You'll support the wider work of the Stories Team with administrative tasks that might include; transcribing interviews, updating the storyteller log, updating records in Raiser’s Edge, updating the Story Tracker in Microsoft Teams.
- Demonstrable experience building positive working relationships
- Excellent copywriting skills, including subediting, proofreading and summarising information
- Attention to detail, and an ability to follow specific administrative processes
- Ability to work with different teams
- Ability to be flexible, respond positively to change, and work effectively under pressure
- Experience in a communications, campaigns, marketing or customer service role
- Have some experience of interviewing people face to face, over the phone or by email
Mandatory for all staff
- To work seamlessly across department or team boundaries in a collaborative and constructive manner to implement Scope’s strategic direction
- To demonstrate a commitment to customer service excellence and deliver against the requirements of Scope’s quality framework.
- To work within Scope’s policies and procedures.
- Senior stories officer
- Stories officer
- Marketing team, Online Community team, Press and PR team, Social Media team, Customer Strategy Experience Team