Stories assistant job description
Job title: Stories assistant
Reports to: Senior stories officer
Salary: £21,000 to £23,000
To collect impactful stories that support Scope’s campaigning goals from disabled people engaged in Scope’s platforms, as well as disabled people who reach out to Scope with their experience or story.
To develop and grow the database of storytellers that will be used across campaigns, the media, fundraising activity and Scope events
- Liaise with the Scope online community, social media team, services and other teams in Scope to spot storytellers and gather their stories guided by Scope’s goals and influencing priorities.
- Responsibility for storyteller record keeping, data storage and consent.
- Responsibility for booking and confirming storyteller accommodation and travel, and other logistics.
- Support Storytelling lead to interview storytellers, following Scope’s storytelling process and take responsibility for accurate transcription of people’s stories.
- Produce summaries on storytellers identified, and regularly update the key teams on new storytellers.
- Be a point of contact for teams across Scope wishing to use stories in their work
- With storytelling lead, commission storytellers to write articles for Scope’s website or transform into social media posts.
- Support the wider work of the Campaigns and Mobilisation team with administrative tasks including transcribing interviews, updating the storyteller log, updating records in Raiser’s Edge, updating the Story Tracker in Microsoft Teams.
- Storytelling Lead
- Marketing team,
- Online Community team,
- Events and fundraising
- Passionate about storytelling
- Excellent written and verbal communication skills
- Methodical and a strong attention to detail
- Strong organisational skills and an ability to manage time and workload
- Proactive and process driven
Knowledge and experience
- Experience of communicating with and managing relationships
- Demonstrable experience building positive working relationships
- Excellent copywriting skills, including subediting, proofreading and summarising information
- Attention to detail, and an ability to follow specific administrative processes
- Ability to work with different teams
- Ability to be flexible, respond positively to change, and work effectively under pressure
- Demonstrable understanding of the social model of disability
- A basic understanding of website accessibility
- An interest and understanding of digital communication tools and best practice, including social media, online forums, email campaigns and writing for the web
- Interested in disability equality and familiar with some of the key issues for disabled people
Experience in a communications, campaigns, marketing or customer service role
Have some experience of interviewing people face to face, over the phone or by email
Skills and competencies
- Demonstrable experience using MS Word, MS Excel and MS Outlook
- Demonstrable experience copywriting or proofreading public-facing content
- Familiar with audio recording equipment, such as the Zoom H4
- Have some experience of a CMS such as Word Press, Drupal or Sitecore (including basic HTML)
- Microsoft Teams or similar (for example, Slack)
- Experience using a CRM, such as Raiser’s Edge, Dynamics or Salesforce
- Photo editing experience (Cropping, resizing images for the web)
- Understand the principles of managing a digital asset management library, such as Asset Bank or Third Light
- Experience with email software like Mail Chimp or Dotmailer