My house is no longer suitable for me. How do I get rehoused?

Approach your local council if your property is not suitable for your needs.

An occupational therapist (OT) can help identify aids or adaptations to help you remain at home. If your property is not suitable, the OT’s report will provide crucial evidence to the local housing department.

Does the council have to rehouse me?

Each council has an allocations policy. This will tell you if you are eligible to apply to the council’s waiting list.

Councils have a legal duty to help most people who are homeless. You will have a priority need for housing if you are vulnerable because of old age, mental illness or disability. The rules around homelessness are quite complex so seek specialist housing advice.

I need to move but can’t afford to – what can I do?

There is some financial help available if you need to move. If you need a deposit for a privately rented property, your local authority may have a deposit scheme.

If you need help with rent in advance and you’re receiving a means-tested benefit, you might get a budgeting loan. This can help pay for essential things like rent in advance or removal costs.

You may be able to get a Discretionary Housing Payment for a rent deposit or rent in advance if you are already entitled to Housing Benefit or Universal Credit.

A Disabled Facilities Grant (DFG) is a mandatory means-tested financial grant. It helps meet the cost of adapting a property (including mobile homes and houseboats) where a disabled person lives. The adaptations must meet the specific needs of the disabled person. Usually an OT will carry out the assessment. Proposed adaptations must be reasonable and practicable.

Ask Scope’s online community

Get advice and tips, or share your experiences


How useful is this page?