You can apply to some big energy companies’ trust funds for help with large arrears bills and further assistance payments which cover things like cookers and washing machines.

Seek advice from your local Citizens Advice

They can support your application. You will need to provide evidence of your income and expenditure.

Anglian Water Assistance Fund

Receives donations from Anglian Water and offers financial assistance to clear water and sewerage debt for customers of Anglian Water and Hartlepool Water.

British Gas Energy Trust

An independent Charitable Trust receiving donations from British Gas, offering financial assistance to families and individuals in need, hardship or other distress, particularly those struggling to pay their energy bills.

npower Fuel Banks

There are npower Fuel Banks in Kingston on Thames, Durham, Gloucestershire, the Wirral, Birmingham, Sheffield, Hull, Hastings, Brent, Glossop, Glasgow and Cardiff. People who have been referred to a participating Trussell Trust or Durham Christian Partnership foodbank, and who have a prepayment meter, can receive a voucher for fuel that will help them to get their power back on within a few hours.

npower Energy Fund

Receives donations from npower and offers financial assistance to current domestic customers of npower who are struggling to pay their energy bills.

ScottishPower Hardship Fund

ScottishPower has a fund to help customers who are struggling to pay their ScottishPower debt due to low household income, for example, customers on Income Support, Jobseeker's Allowance, Pension Credit, Employment and Support Allowance or Disability Living Allowance.

Severn Trent Trust Fund

Severn Trent Trust Fund is an independent grant-making trust first set up in 1997. A registered charity, the Trust is helping people out of poverty and debt – thanks to donations by the UK Midlands-based water company, Severn Trent Water Limited. The policy and grant making is overseen by independent Trustees who ensure that the money goes where it is most needed .

Southern Water

The Southern Water Charitable Trust Fund is a registered charity established to help people facing financial hardship. The Charitable Trust can consider making a grant towards water and/or wastewater charges for customers in financial hardship.

South East Water's Helping Hand

Receives donations from South East Water and offers financial assistance to clear water and sewerage debt for customers of South East Water. 

South Staffs Water

If meeting the cost of your water bill is causing you hardship, then help may be at hand through the South Staffs Water Charitable Trust. As a registered charity, the Trust runs entirely independently of South Staffs Water and assists with the cost of meeting the bill for the company's customers. Who are facing genuine difficulties or distress. 

Thames Water Customer Assistance Fund

The Thames Water Customer Assistance Fund helps customers who are experiencing financial hardship and are in debt with them.

Yorkshire Water Community Trust

The Yorkshire Water Community Trust was set up primarily to help those individuals and families in real need, and who are unable to pay their water charges to Yorkshire Water.

United Utilities

The Trust Fund, which is not part of United Utilities and is managed by independent trustees, is there to help our customers with genuine financial problems. The aim of the fund is to help people and where possible get them back on track financially by providing a grant towards their debt.

Contact our helpline


How useful is this page?