If a service that you are using closes, your local authority must provide you with another suitable service. 

Think about what would be right for you:

  • What do you get from your current service?
  • What need does it meet?

You can complain if:

  • the local authority has not consulted you before deciding to close the service
  • you have been left without an alternative service
  • the service offered is far away from where you live
  • your new service will not meet your assessed needs

Following the closure of a service, you may receive a small sum of money to your personal budget that represents the cost of you attending another service. But there may be nothing available locally that can meet your need for daytime support at a similar price.

If this is the case, you can:

  • Ask for more money in your personal budget so you can buy a service that is suitable for you. This may, for example, be a support worker to help you do activities that you enjoy.
  • Get together with other disabled people who want a similar service and ask the council to set it up. You may, for example, ask them to fund a new service from a local disabled people’s organisation, or campaign together to keep the existing service open.

How to complain about the closure of your service

  • Remind your local authority that the law says they must provide you with another suitable service.
  • If the new service isn’t suitable or doesn’t meet your assessed needs, explain why not.
  • If the services are not being replaced, remind the local authority that they must meet your assessed needs. Your care package cannot be stopped without you being reassessed.
  • Your local authority has a duty to consult properly. Remind them about this. If they consulted but didn’t do it properly, explain why you think it does not count - see Did they consult properly?
  • If your local authority suggests that you can make alternative arrangements yourself through your personal budget, make sure that you tell them what money you need to arrange something suitable. It may be more than the old service used to cost.
  • If closing the service will leave a gap in the provision available locally, or only leave you with a bad service from a provider that you don’t like, then ask the local authority to do something about this. Remind them that the law says that they should design services around what local people need, rather than what is available.

If this doesn’t get the result you want, you can complain to the Ombudsman or get legal advice about possible court action – what options do I have now?