You could get between £100 and £300 tax-free to help pay your heating bills if you were born on or before 5 May 1953. This is known as a Winter Fuel Payment.

Most payments are made automatically between November and December. You should get your money by Christmas.

You usually get a Winter Fuel Payment automatically if you get the State Pension or another social security benefit (not Housing Benefit, Council Tax Reduction, Child Benefit or Universal Credit).

If you qualify for Winter Fuel Payment but don’t get paid automatically, you’ll need to make a claim.

How much you get depends on your circumstances during the qualifying week. The qualifying week for winter 2016 to 2017 is 19 to 25 September 2016. You’ll get a letter telling you how much you’ll get and an estimated payment date.

You’ll qualify for Winter Fuel Payment if:

  • You were born on or before 5 May 1953 (for winter 2016 to 2017 - this date changes every year).
  • You’ll be living in the UK throughout the week of 19 to 25 September 2016.  
 Make a claim for winter fuel payment.

Contact our helpline