If you have a disabled child or a child with additional needs, they may need extra equipment or support with their education.


Portage workers can support families and disabled children to play and learn new skills at home. Portage is not available in all areas so contact your Health Visitor.

Nursery, pre-school and starting school

If you are starting to think about nursery or pre-school places for your child, the local authority or Family Information Service will be able to tell you what is available in your area. 

All mainstream schools and most nurseries will have a designated member of staff who is responsible for special educational needs and will work with parents, teachers and professionals to co-ordinate any additional support your child may need.  

Find out more about special educational needs and your child’s legal entitlements.

Contact our helpline


How useful is this page?