An Occupational Therapist (OT) can provide assessment, intervention and advice to disabled children and adults who have difficulties with everyday activities.

How can an OT support me?

  • Adaptation – environmental and equipment
  • Health and safety advice and management of risk
  • Moving and handling
  • Postural management
  • Self-care skills
  • Sensory modulation and integration
  • Specialist equipment – for personal needs such as toileting and bathing
  • Upper limb orthotics/hand splinting

Occupational Therapists also advise on equipment for disabled children and adults, adaptations to the home and undertake functional assessments.

How can I see an OT?

OTs are usually based in a hospital, school, community clinic or health centre, referral is through a health professional.

Depending on where you live, occupational therapy services may be accessed via the GP or Social Services. We would advise contacting your GP in the first instance but you may need to contact your local Social Services Department, especially if you need OT assessment for equipment in the home or in connection with home adaptations.

Occupational therapy - more information

British Association of Occupational Therapists and College of Occupational Therapists

Contact our helpline