Please note: All tips in this section have been suggested by members of our community. 

Talk to your transitions officer

Speak to the transitions officer at your local authority. Read Dimensions' Lost in Transition or Contact a Family's parent guide: preparing for adult life and transition - England and Wales.

Plan questions

Write down a list of questions before you go to the planning meeting.

Take someone with you

Take someone with you to the meeting, like a friend or advocate, and encourage professional allies to attend. If the young person receives health care, a health professional will be asked to submit reports.

Transition plan

Your child's transition plan should:
  • be based on what the young person wants, not just on the existing services available.
  • clearly set out your child’s hopes for the future and cover all aspects of life
  • clearly state health, housingsocial care, lifelong learning and employment needs
  • include funding. It should cover money, benefits and ways of funding the services and support the young person will need as an adult.
You should receive a copy of agreed actions such as what needs to happen, the name of the person doing the action and when it will be done by.


If the young person will stay at school until 19, make an application to your local authority’s complex needs panel to arrange continued funding.


Every year after year 9 there should be a transition review meeting. Even if they don’t attend there should be some contact with the relevant professionals involved with the future arrangements for the young person.

Read more about transition.

Share your tips and feedback

We'd love to hear your tips, practical suggestions and feedback.
This link will open in a new window.

Using these tips

These tips have been contributed by members of our online community. We hope they will give you some ideas to try, but if you need further help why not post a question to the community or talk to one of our community advisors. If you have any concerns about your health or the wellbeing of someone you are caring for, please consult a doctor or qualified professional.

How useful is this page?