Be the friendly face behind the till in our Scarborough store.
Key skills you'll gain
• Customer service
• Operating the till
• Cash handling
Why we need you
We need your help in our shop so that together we can generate vital charity income. Your role will be focused on our till points where you will serve customers who are making purchases. You’ll also handle customer enquiries and tell customers about our instore promotions, such as raffle ticket sales and our Gift Aid donation scheme. We’d also like you to help keep an eye on the security of the shop and advise customers on their purchases. We’ll use the money that you help us raise in the shop to fund our work towards achieving equality for disabled people.
Where and when
You will be based in our charity shop at 22 Newborough, Scarborough, YO11 1NA.
This is a very flexible role. We’d love your help for as little as one hour a week, but if you can give five hours, even better. We urgently need volunteer on Tuesdays, Fridays and Saturdays. We’re open seven days a week though, so chat to us about the hours and days that suit you.
How we will support you
• Volunteer induction into Scope
• Relevant training
• One to one support and regular catch ups with your manager
• Pre-agreed travel expenses and, if you volunteer all day, lunch expenses too
• We will make accessibility adjustments to the role (if you require this)
• You may be eligible to study for an NVQ in Retail, Customer Service or Team leading (if you volunteer for more than 16 hours a week and meet the eligibility criteria)
What we are looking for
You’ll be the face of our charity that customers meet when they visit us on the high street, so you’ll need to be friendly, confident chatting to customers, and able to deliver excellent customer service. You’ll also need to have basic numeracy skills.
What else you will gain
• A work-related reference
• Experience of a retail store environment
• Team work skills
• Confidence and valuable experience for your CV
Safeguarding is everyone’s responsibility. Scope is committed to safeguarding and promoting the welfare and wellbeing of children and adults at risk, whether receiving services or being staff or volunteers. It expects all trustees, staff and volunteers to share this commitment.