Who we are
We’re Scope, the disability equality charity and we won’t stop until we achieve a society where all disabled people enjoy equality and fairness. At home. At school. At work. In our communities. We provide practical advice and emotional support to disabled people and their families whenever they need it most. We use our collective power to change attitudes and end injustice. And we campaign relentlessly to create a fairer society.
Why we exist
- There are 14 million disabled people in the UK – 22 % of the population.
- Disabled people are over twice as likely to be unemployed.
- On average, disabled adults face extra costs of £583 per month.
- Half of disabled people feel excluded from society.
- 72% of parents of disabled children have experienced mental health problems.
- 58% of disabled people have experienced bullying or discrimination at work associate with their impairment or condition.
We have a range of practical and emotional support services for disabled people and their families to access, including our employment services, helpline and family services.