Charity Shop Manager (Lincoln)
Lincoln - Closes on 05/05/2021
- £17,560 per year full time equivalent
- 35 hours per week (Monday to Sunday)
- Full time, permanent
Working at Scope
- Be a disability gamechanger
- Flexible working days
- 35 days holiday per year
- Discounts at gyms, shops, theatres and more
Effectively manage the day to day running of the shop, staff and volunteers, with the aim of achieving optimum profit, by maximising sales and controlling direct shop expenses.
- Ensure the shop sales performance is maximised, actively seeking ways to improve the shop’s performance on a continuous basis.
- Manage all aspects of stock collection and preparation; ensuring that stock processing levels are sufficient to achieve required shop floor density, encouraging stock donations at all times.
- Ensure optimum use of stock sourced through donations, van collections, textile bank, recycling and other stock generation methods.
- Actively engage in national stock generation initiatives to increase donated sales and to develop and implement local stock appeals in conjunction with the Area Manager.
- Demonstrate excellent customer service, internally and externally, always promoting good practice within the shop and providing guidance, feedback and coaching to the shop team as required.
- Meet required performance standards and targets. Motivating, managing and supporting shop staff and volunteers in the achievement of Key Performance Indicators targets.
- Be ultimately responsible for cash handling, banking and associated administration, ensuring that all till operations are carried out in accordance with Scope’s policies and procedures.
- Comply with Scope’s policies and procedures, particularly in relation to shop security and health and safety regulations, and the completion of general administration tasks to required deadlines.
- Inform Area Manager or other appropriate manager of any concerns regarding non-compliance, in respect of Scope’s policies and procedures, ensuring that confidentiality is maintained at all times.
- Conduct performance development reviews and staff PDPs in line with Scope procedures ensuring the Area Manager is advised of any identified training needs and performance issues.
- Maintain a good standard of housekeeping, in line with Scope’s Visual Merchandising and back office standards, creating an environment that is pleasant and safe for customers, shop staff and volunteers.
- Comply with and maintain excellent visual merchandising standards within the shop in line with Retail Shop Operation manual standards.
- Present a positive and professional image to customers, staff and volunteers at all times, being an ambassador for Scope.
- Supervise and encourage team members and volunteers to maximise their potential through continuous learning whilst challenging and dealing with under performance.
- Recruit, manage and develop staff and volunteers within Scope’s HR and operational policies and procedures.
- Manage volunteers appropriately within the shop.
- Lead effective and engaging team meetings based on the Scope team meeting template, reporting back on key issues and questions raised.
- Work seamlessly across area, department or team boundaries in a collaborative and constructive manner to implement Scope’s strategic direction.
- Demonstrate a commitment to customer service excellence and deliver against the requirements of Scope’s quality framework.
- Work within Scope’s policies and procedures at all times.
- Produce and communicate 4 weekly rotas for shop teams to Area Manager; ensuring adequate coverage of staff availability on peak trading days, weekends and seasonal periods – including Sundays, Bank Holidays, Christmas and sales promotions.
- Attend and undertake any relevant key training workshops, events or meetings as required, playing an active role and carrying out all actions required following the events.
- Must work in other shops occasionally if requested.
- In line with the Shop Operating manual fully act and take responsibility of the duties assigned to a shop key holder.
This is not an exhaustive list of responsibilities and the post holder will be expected to undertake other duties within the remit of the job and appropriate to their level of seniority as requested by the relevant line management.
Budget to be outlined with Area Manager, specific to the shop working in.
- Management of 1 Assistant Shop Manager
- Management of team of shop volunteers
Travel and residence
- Travel may be required throughout the area and elsewhere within England and Wales for training and meetings
- Incumbent to live within reasonable commuting distance of the shop responsible for.
Grade specific skills
- Proven organisational and prioritising skills
- Demonstrates excellent communication and interpersonal skills
- Ability to provide excellent customer service in an efficient and courteous manner
- Ability to be flexible, respond positively to change, and work effectively under pressure and deal with conflicting priorities
- Ability to motivate self and others
- Demonstrable understanding of the social model of disability and clarity about the contribution of Retail to achieving social change and what Scope does.
Role based skills
- Numerate with the ability to calculate figures
- Experience of carrying out administrative tasks
- Able to be accountable for cash handling, banking and security associated with the task
- Proven retail or customer service experience
- Able to apply and be accountable for health and safety processes within the shop
- Experience of managing a team
- Good written communication skills
- Must be willing to work on Saturdays and Bank Holidays as required
- Must be willing to undertake relevant training and attend meetings as required
- Must be prepared to work in other shops occasionally if requested
- Must be willing to act as key holder
- Experience of conducting staff appraisals and / or performance development reviews
- Knowledge of merchandising and displays
- Possess an interest and awareness in fashion trends
- Experience of working in a charity shop
- Experience of working with budgets
- Must be willing to work the occasional Sunday as required in line with peak trading periods such as Christmas and sales promotions
- Must be able to lift heavy and / or bulky items