Chief Executive's statement
To achieve everyday equality for disabled people, we must also take a stand against:
- religious intolerance
- social exclusion of all kinds
Disabled people, their families, and allies come from diverse backgrounds. They come from all parts of our society. Equal rights for disabled people must mean equal rights for all.
I want Scope to be an organisation where anyone can thrive, be their true self and feel that they belong. We will only achieve this, if we recruit, develop and support colleagues. Having diverse backgrounds, experience and knowledge only increases our likelihood for success.
Positives to celebrate
Although the last year (2020 to 21) was difficult for everyone. We do have some great achievements that we can celebrate.
- Our gender pay gap is falling. We have pay advantages for our disabled, LGBTQ+, and minority ethnic employees. You can read more about our pay gap data on this page of our website.
- We responded to Black Lives Matter with a series of listening and learning events. From this, we developed a race action plan.
- An equality in race colleague network was also set up and supported by our EDI co-ordinator. Alongside our Pride and Disability networks.
- The pandemic led to more flexible and inclusive ways of working for many colleagues. But especially for disabled colleagues. In a recent employee survey. We found that our disabled colleagues felt more productive working from home.
- We want to build on the progress we made with wellbeing during the pandemic. We ran sessions on taking care of yourself through lockdown and re-emergence after. These sessions were for the whole organisation. As well as a programme of fun and informative online activities.
- We delivered a thorough review of our reasonable adjustments, accessibility processes and policies.
Our plans for the future
We have an ambitious programme for EDI in 2021 and beyond.
- Co-producing our first integrated EDI strategy, starting in 2021. We will deliver this from 2022 onwards.
- Our recruitment, pay and reward strategy are being developed in 2021. Both have equality, diversity and inclusion at their heart.
- An accessibility strategy is being developed. This is after the success of our review into access and inclusion at Scope.
- Our People Committee has refocussed. It has also named itself Scope’s Equality, Diversity, Inclusion and People Committee. It is exciting to see the strategic direction this committee will steer us in.