We use cookies to monitor site usage, improve your experience and tailor adverts. This includes cookies from trusted third parties. Please read our Cookies policy.

Access to Work grant scheme

Access to Work is a government grant scheme which supports disabled people in work. Access to Work might pay for:

  • a British Sign Language interpreter
  • specialist equipment
  • extra transport costs, such as a taxi where no public transport is available

Access to Work can also pay for assessments to see what you need at work. You can apply for Access to Work up to 6 weeks before you start work.

Get an easy read guide to Access to Work (GOV.UK)

Warning Access to Work during coronavirus

If your work needs have changed because of coronavirus, Access to Work will give you extra support. You can get financial support to work from home, at your normal workplace or both. Changes might include:

  • funding for extra travel costs like taxi fares if you cannot use public transport safely
  • funding for remote support services, such as video remote interpreting or British Sign Language interpreting
  • getting a new application fast-tracked if you are clinically extremely vulnerable to coronavirus

If you need to have an assessment, it will be over the phone.

If you are starting a new job, you can get your Access to Work application fast-tracked within 4 weeks.

Claiming Access to Work during coronavirus (GOV.UK)

Who is eligible for Access to Work?

You must:

  • be over 16
  • have a condition or impairment that affects your ability to do your job or travel to work
  • be in or about to start paid work (this includes self-employment)
  • live and work in England, Scotland or Wales

Access to Work applies to any paid job. This includes part-time work, temporary work and work trials organised by Jobcentre Plus. You can also apply for a support worker for a job interview.

Check if you’re eligible for Access to Work (GOV.UK)

Universal Credit, Jobseeker’s Allowance or Income Support

If you are claiming one of these benefits, you are eligible for Access to Work if you work for more than an hour a week.

Employment and Support Allowance (ESA)

If you're claiming ESA and doing ‘permitted work’, you can get help from Access to Work.

Apply for Access to Work

Your employer cannot apply for you. You must apply for Access to Work yourself. Talk to your employer and work out what adjustments they could make and how Access to Work could help.

Apply for Access to Work (GOV.UK)

When you apply, you will need to explain:

  • how your condition affects you
  • what help you are getting
  • what kind of help you think you need

You will also need to give:

  • the address and postcode of your workplace
  • the name of a workplace contact who can authorise your Access to Work payments

You can apply online, by phone or ask for a paper form. You can have someone with you to help you explain what’s needed.

Examples of what may be funded

  • Specialist software, such as screen readers
  • A support worker, such as a driver or job coach
  • Adapted equipment, such as chairs and desks
  • Taxi journeys to and from work if you cannot use public transport

What's not covered by Access to Work

  • Changes that your employer must make under the Equality Act 2010 (reasonable adjustments)
  • Support that your employer has provided previously
  • Equipment that is standard for the job

Levels of funding

The level of the funding depends on:

  • if you’re employed or self-employed
  • how long you have been in your job
  • the type of help you need

Access to Work will normally pay all the cost if any of these apply to you:

  • you have been in a job for less than 6 weeks
  • you are self-employed
  • you need funding for a support worker, travel to work or interviews, communication support at interviews

If you apply after you have been in the role for more than 6 weeks, your employer might need to contribute towards the cost of things paid for by Access to Work.

Depending on the size of your employer, Access to Work could refund up to 80% of approved costs under £10,000. It will normally pay any balance over £10,000, up to £65,180 a year.

Access to Work for employers (GOV.UK)

Access to Work funding is ongoing. Access to Work will review your circumstances and support needs after 3 years or if your condition changes.

Maintaining equipment

Your employer owns the equipment it buys through Access to Work and is also responsible for maintenance, insurance and disposal costs.

You may be able to transfer the equipment if you start a new job with a different employer. Talk to the Access to Work support team as well as your employer about this.

Keeping disability equipment when you leave your job

Last reviewed by Scope on: 10/05/2022

Was this page helpful?

We're sorry to hear that.

Tell us how we can improve it

Reasonable adjustments at work

Opens in a new windowOpens an external siteOpens an external site in a new window