Coronavirus: information and updates

Asking for adjustments when you have a job offer

If you’ve had a job offer and feel that you’ll need changes to the role for you to accept it, you have the right to ask your new employer for 'reasonable adjustments'.

Under the Equality Act 2010, all employers have a duty to make any adjustments that are considered reasonable.

When you ask for reasonable adjustments, you will need to talk about or 'disclose' your condition or impairment. You may have already had adjustments at your interview, but make sure you share this information with your new manager.

Talking to your employer about disability

Flexible working as a 'reasonable adjustment'

Flexible working means changing the way you work. This could mean:

Flexible working is a reasonable adjustment when it means you can do your job.

Flexible and part-time working

Get a job offer in writing

This can be a letter or email. This is important if the offer is withdrawn.

Talk to your employer

Even if you said that you were disabled on your application form, your manager may not know that. This is because information on application forms is often confidential.

Ask your future line manager first. You need to speak to someone who understands the work and can make the decision about how you might do your job differently.

You can use the following template to send a letter or email to your employer. Simply copy and paste it into your word processor and fill in the blanks as appropriate.

Dear ____

As you are aware, I've been offered a job at [COMPANY]. I am delighted to accept this job offer now. You may be aware that I have an impairment that impacts me on a daily basis in [THIS WAY]. Because of this [AND ANY OTHER FACTORS] I'd like to talk to you about how we can facilitate my working fully with some adjustments.

Yours sincerely,


If you do not get a reply

Email or write again in a polite way. The employer might have just been too busy to reply.

If the employer withdraws the job offer

This might be discrimination. If you're not sure what your rights are, you may get free legal advice from your:

  • union
  • household insurance provider if you have legal cover
  • professional body

Finding free or affordable legal help (Citizens Advice)

Reasonable adjustments request template

If your employer wants to know more

Wanting to talk more is usually a good sign. This could be by email, face to face or over the phone.

Before you talk to your employer, write a list of what you need to talk about.

Talk about your needs

Be positive and make it clear that you want to work for the organisation. Assume that the person you’re talking to knows nothing about what it’s like for you living, travelling and working as a disabled person. Talk about what it might be like to do the job.

Ask open questions that need more than a ‘yes’ or ‘no’ answer. Try to use the word ‘we’, for example:

  • “How about we...”
  • “What if we do...”

Agree on how you are going to work out what adjustments you need.

Summarise what you've both agreed to do at the end of the conversation.

Confirm what you agreed

Send an email so that there's a record that you asked for reasonable adjustments. Summarise your conversation with them and say that you're looking forward to working with them.

Work out what adjustments you need

Focus on what you need to do your job, not other parts of your life.

Reasonable adjustments at work

Be open to suggestions. Your employer may have some good ideas.

If you do not know what you need

Ask to have an assessment. Access to Work can pay for assessments.

Ask your employer to help. Talk to someone who knows what the job is like day to day. This may be your future manager or someone on your team. Visit the place where you will be working.

Access to Work


Keep talking about adjustments when you start work

This is particularly important if you have a probationary period.

Make sure that you have the support that's been agreed, and that it is working for you. You should also have an opportunity to talk about this in your meetings with your manager.

As an employed disabled person, you have the right to reasonable adjustments at work. It does not matter how long you've been employed or if you're in a 'probation period'.

If your employer does not provide adjustments

You can appeal the decision by writing a letter.

Reasonable adjustments request letter template (if refused)

Last reviewed by Scope on: 04/06/2021

Was this page helpful?

We're sorry to hear that.

Tell us how we can improve it

Need more help at work?

Opens in a new windowOpens an external siteOpens an external site in a new window