Coronavirus: information and updates

Asking for new reasonable adjustments if your condition changes

By law, your employer must make reasonable adjustments that will allow a disabled person to work. The Equality Act 2010 applies throughout your employment, not just when you start a new job.

Equality Act 2010

You may need new adjustments if your condition or your duties change.

Examples of adjustments include:

  • changes to the physical workplace environment, like installing a ramp
  • providing you with special equipment, such as an ergonomic keyboard or an adapted desk
  • flexible hours and location of work

You should have regular reviews with your employer to discuss your needs and how well the adjustments you have are meeting these. Work with your employer to decide how often you need to meet.

Start by asking your line manager about the process for making adjustments. If they cannot get you the help that you need, contact your employer’s human resources department. Access to Work grants can be used to pay for an assessment to work out what you need, as well as paying for adjustments.

Reasonable adjustments at work

Access to Work grants

At the meeting

You may wish to prepare notes beforehand so that you have an idea of what you want to say. Bring these with you and clearly explain what you are finding difficult at work and what you think might be the solution. If you already know what you need, ask for it. Otherwise you should be given an assessment to determine how your needs have changed and how they can be better met.

At the meeting, aim to agree on specific actions that can be taken, and timescales for these.

Asking for adjustments returning to work

Your employer only has to provide reasonable adjustments if they are aware of your increased needs. Make sure you tell them when you need these. Keep a written record if you need to prove this.

If you have been off work due to your condition, your employer should deal with this as disability-related, rather than as sickness. If they do not, email them to say that this is because of your impairment. By doing this, there’s a record of what you have told your employer. If you are not offered a meeting to review your adjustments, request this specifically.

Reasonable adjustments are not ‘favouritism’. Employers must consider all requests that would give disabled people the tools they need to do their job. If your employer does not provide this, you may be able to bring a claim in an employment tribunal.

Employment tribunals (GOV.UK)

Paying for adjustments

You should not have to pay for any adjustments at work. Your employer should pay for these. Additional funding may be available from the Government.

Access to Work scheme (GOV.UK)

If your employer will not provide adjustments

Consider getting advice from:

Advisory, Conciliation and Arbitration Service (ACAS)
ACAS provides independent and impartial advice on workplace matters. Call the helpline on 0300 123 1100.

Equality Advisory Support Service (EASS)
EASS advises and supports on matters relating to equality and human rights. You can call the advice line on 0808 800 0082.

Employment information supported by Virgin Media.

We're working with Virgin Media to support 1 million disabled people in getting into and staying in work by the end of 2020.

Last reviewed by Scope on: 03/07/2020

Was this page helpful?

We're sorry to hear that.

Tell us how we can improve it

Need more help?

Opens in a new windowOpens an external siteOpens an external site in a new window