We use cookies to monitor site usage, improve your experience and tailor adverts. This includes cookies from trusted third parties. Please read our Cookies policy.

Moving from education to work

When you move from education to work, the support available to you will change. You can get support with:

Finishing education

Preparing for the end of education can take some time. You can get support from your sixth form, college or university. This can include:

Finding a job you will be good at

Looking at your skills can help you find a job you will be good at. You might find it helpful to write them down or ask what your friends and family think. If you have work experience, thinking about what you enjoyed can also help.

These skills can include:

  • organisation
  • creativity
  • problem solving

Training for work 

Finding a job that matches your skills 

Research can help you know what jobs are available. The National Career Service can assess your skills and tell you what jobs might suit you.

National Careers Service (GOV.UK)

If you have learning difficulties and are aged 16 to 24, you could do a supported internship. The internship can offer:

Supported internship (UCAS)

Support with your job search

Job search support will vary depending on where you live.

You can get support from the people around you, such as a family member or a friend. If you are unsure about something, talking about it can help.

If you are under 25, you can find support with your job search by going to the local offer pages of your council website. The local offer can include information about:

  • what is available in your area, such as employment services
  • organisations and charities that support disabled people

Find your local council (GOV.UK)

The job centre can support anyone who is looking for a job. It’s a good way to see what is available in your area.

Job help from the Jobcentre (GOV.UK)

Find your nearest Jobcentre Plus (GOV.UK)

Disability support

You can get employment support from Scope's employment services.

There are other schemes and organisations that can support disabled people to get a job. These include:

The support will vary depending on your area.

Connecting with others

Connect with others who have recently moved from education or who are in a job you are interested in. This can be a great way to see what is possible.

You could do this by:

  • using any contacts you have
  • searching on social media, such as Twitter, LinkedIn or Facebook groups
  • contacting local businesses

Job networking tips

Looking for a job on social media

Medical advice

Your GP can support you when searching for a job. They should be able to give you information about:

  • if you are fit to work
  • what adjustments they would recommend

This will give you medical advice which you can take to your employer. Having the advice should make it easier to get reasonable adjustments.

Social prescribing is available at most GP surgeries. It allows disabled people to access a range of support in their local area. This could include:

  • volunteering
  • employment
  • getting out and about

Social prescribing (NHS)

Reasonable adjustments in the workplace

The Equality Act 2010 requires an employer to make reasonable adjustments to enable a disabled person to work. You can ask for reasonable adjustments when you have a job offer as this can take time.

Reasonable adjustments at work

If you had an Education, Health and Care (EHC) plan when you were in education, this can help you when thinking about adjustments. Think about what adjustments worked well for you then, and if it can be used within the workplace. If you are unsure, you can ask a teacher or lecturer about your current support.

Possible adjustments

Adjustments are personal to your needs, but can include:

  • equipment
  • changes to work environment
  • travel arrangements
  • changing working patterns and hours
  • support and training

Access to Work grants can help pay for adjustments at work and for specialist assessments. It's your responsibility to apply as soon you have a job offer.

Your employer might have to pay for the adjustments. This will depend on when you apply for Access to Work and how big the company is.

Access to Work grant scheme

Your employer can make some reasonable adjustments including:

  • changing your hours, such as starting later to avoid rush hour
  • changing work responsibilities, such as answering email enquiries instead of telephone calls
  • extra support, such as weekly mentoring sessions
  • being flexible with the dress code, such as allowing you to wear trainers

If you feel like an adjustment would make it easier to do your job, have a conversation with your employer.

Explaining your condition to your employer

You decide when you tell your employer about your condition. It can be tricky knowing when it is best to do this, but there is no wrong time.

Talking to your employer about disability 

Mentioning disability in your application

Being open with your employer can make the reasonable adjustment process easier. If you explain the challenges you face in the workplace, your employer can support you. They can get specialist help from Access to Work.

Asking for reasonable adjustments

If you would like support when talking about your condition, an advocate can help to get your voice heard.

Someone to speak up for you (NHS)

Watch Shani's interview about finding and staying in work

Last reviewed by Scope on: 31/03/2022

Was this page helpful?

We're sorry to hear that.

Tell us how we can improve it

Need more help finding work?

Opens in a new windowOpens an external siteOpens an external site in a new window