Disability benefits without the fight
We are calling on the government to give disabled people the right to request an appropriate assessor.
Getting the wrong decision means that many disabled people are having to go through stressful appeals processes. And are having to fight for the benefits they need and are entitled to.
Join us in calling for fairer benefits assessments
Act today! Support our call for the Government to give disabled people the right to request an appropriate medical assessor.
- Use our benefits appeals map to find out important information about appeals in your area.
- Hear first-hand from disabled people claiming or appealing benefits in your area.
- Write to your local MP raising awareness of the problem, and encourage them to sign our open letter.
A benefits system that’s failing disabled people
Time and again assessors are getting benefits decisions wrong. Taking vital support away from disabled people and their families, creating enormous amounts of stress, anxiety and pushing many into poverty.
- Less than half (48%) of people who had an assessment were given Personal Independence Payments (PIP).
- Three quarters (72%) of people who go to tribunal over their PIP decisions are given benefits.
- Two thirds (66%) of Work Capability Assessment decisions were overturned on appeal.
- between 2017 and 2019 the Government spent more than £120 million fighting benefits appeals.
The benefits system should be working for disabled people. Not against them.