Disabled people and coronavirus: We won't be forgotten
We’re putting a spotlight on the serious issues disabled people are facing right now.
Disabled people have been hardest hit:
- 35% of disabled people say their finances have become worse since the start of the pandemic
- disabled people have been waiting too long for a welfare system that gives financial security without cruel, unhelpful sanctions and the need to appeal
- 3 in 5 people who died from coronavirus were disabled, according to updated figures from the Office of National Statistics
- 1 in 4 disabled people feel forgotten by the government
The government still does not recognise the financial pressures disabled people face. We need to bring this to their attention.
The Disability Account
We are gathering a collection of real life stories and experiences, highlighting the financial worries of disabled people. We will bring this to the governments attention by handing this in to the Department of Work and Pensions.
Our campaign so far
Call for emergency support
We wanted to convince the government that emergency support is needed, and that they needed to act now.
Thank you to the 15,000 people who contacted their local members of parliament (MPs). If you missed out. You can still read our Emergency Policy Briefing.
Prime Minister responds to open letter
The Prime Minister, Boris Johnson responded to our call for a clear plan to factor disabled peoples’ needs into the Government’s response to the pandemic.
In he's response the Prime Minister refers to:
- supporting 1 million disabled people in to work
- the National Disability Strategy
Whilst these are positive Government policies, we are disappointed that the reply does not address our call directly. We believe the Government should do more to support disabled people during these challenging times. And we will continue to campaign for action.
If you'd like to see the full response, please get in touch at firstname.lastname@example.org.
We handed in our open letter to the Prime Minister on the 17 September, containing 30,696 signatures.
Raising awareness with local MPs
Together we contacted over 570 MPs with our Disability Report, highlighting the effect of coronavirus and lockdown on disabled people.
By sharing our report with your local MP, you have helped us raise awareness of the issues disabled people faced during lockdown.
Read the full disability report
Together, we won’t let disabled people be forgotten.