Benefits and other ways of funding the extra costs of being disabled

If you are disabled, you could get disability benefits, grants and advice about money.

Information about benefits

The government has an A to Z of benefits for disabled people and their carers. Your local authority must give you support. Advice is available from charities and voluntary organisations.

You may be able to claim:

Use the benefits calculator to find out what support and benefits you can apply for. The Money Advice Service also has information on disability benefits.

Help with care

If you’re aged 16 to 64, you can apply for Personal Independence Payment (PIP). If you were receiving Disability Living Allowance (DLA) as a child you’ll need to re-apply for PIP. If you have an unpaid carer for more than 35 hours a week, they can apply for Carer’s Allowance. Your local authority has a duty to provide care at home. But what they provide depends on budgets. Speak to your social services department about what you can get.

Find your local authority.

Help with travel

You can apply to your local authority for a disabled person’s bus pass. A Disabled Person’s Railcard gives you up to one third off rail fares. If you travel for NHS treatment, you can apply for reasonable travel costs through the Healthcare Travel Costs Scheme.

If you’re on DLA and a car owner, you don’t have to pay road tax. The Motability Scheme can help you with leasing a car, powered wheelchair or scooter.

Help with the home

Your local authority can provide a Disabled Facilities Grant (DFG) if you need specialist equipment or make changes to your home.

This includes:

  • wider doorways and ramps
  • stairlifts and a downstairs bathroom
  • adapting lighting and heating controls
  • specialist equipment for mobility or using the bathroom and kitchen

Some organisations provide grants for items not covered by your local authority or the government.

Search for grants 

Local advice

Look for a local agency who can provide advice on benefits, housing, jobs, legal issues and other practical help.

Find a local agency (Turn 2 Us)

Get local advice (Advicelocal)

Last reviewed by Scope on: 05/10/2018

Is this content helpful?

Great! Tell us how it helped.

We're sorry to hear that. Tell us how we can improve it.

Need more help?

Opens in a new windowOpens an external siteOpens an external site in a new window