Coronavirus: information and updates

Carer's Allowance

You can submit a claim for Carer's Allowance if you look after someone for 35 hours per week or more and they receive certain benefits. You do not have to live with them or be related. Your claim can also be backdated by 3 months from the date you apply.

If you are working, you need to be earning less than £128 per week.

You can apply for Carer’s Allowance if the person you're caring for receives any of the following:

  • daily living component of Personal Independence Payment (PIP)
  • the middle or highest care rate of Disability Living Allowance (DLA)
  • Attendance Allowance
  • Constant Attendance Allowance paid with Industrial Injuries or War Pension schemes
  • Armed Forces Independence Payment

Apply for Carer's Allowance (GOV.UK)

Carer's Allowance eligibility

Claiming Carer's Allowance can affect benefits received by the person you are caring for. If they receive means-tested benefits with a severe disability premium, or Pension Credit with a severe disability premium, they may lose this if someone claims Carer's Allowance for looking after them.

Carer's Allowance overlaps with State Pension. People over State Pension age will only get Carer's Allowance if their State Pension is less than the weekly rate of Carer's Allowance.

It can still be worth applying as the underlying entitlement to Carer's Allowance can lead to premiums being added to other benefits such as Pension Credit.

Carer's Allowance does count as income for other means-tested benefits.

Warning Students

You’re not eligible for Carer's Allowance if you’re a full-time student or studying for 21 hours or more a week.

Carer's Allowance claim form

You can find all the information you need to complete the form at the start of the Carer’s Allowance online claim (GOV.UK).

You can also apply by post, but you’ll need to download and print the Carer’s Allowance claim form (GOV.UK).

You can also get the form by contacting the Carers Allowance Unit on 0800 731 0297.

Warning Apply online

If you apply online for Carer’s Allowance, you’ll receive payments sooner than if you apply by post.

Help with your Carer's Allowance application

Further sources of information include:

Once you've claimed online, you should receive a decision by post in 3 weeks. If you've applied by post, it will take a few days more.

If you're not happy with the decision, you can challenge it.

Challenging a DWP decision about benefits

Talk to Scope online community members about Carer's Allowance

Last reviewed by Scope on: 28/10/2020

Was this page helpful?

We're sorry to hear that.

Tell us how we can improve it

More help with benefits

Opens in a new windowOpens an external siteOpens an external site in a new window