Coronavirus: information and updates

Employee rights and coronavirus

The Government advises people to self-isolate if they test positive for coronavirus.

Working safely during coronavirus (GOV.UK)

Ask your employer what options are available to you. Check their policy on:

Coronavirus advice for employers and employees (ACAS)

Returning to work

If you feel uncertain about returning to work, speak to your employer to find out their policies on coronavirus changes.

Coronavirus: if you are worried about working (Citizens Advice)

Sick leave

Depending on your employer’s policy and your contract, your employer may ask you to take the paid sick leave in your contract or statutory sick pay (SSP). Ask your employer about their sick leave policy. 

Statutory Sick Pay (SSP)

With SSP you can get £99.35 per week and your employer pays this for up to 28 weeks. To be eligible for SSP, you need to earn an average of at least £123 per week.

Check if you're eligible for Statutory Sick Pay (GOV.UK)

If you’re not eligible for SSP, you can claim:

Benefits and coronavirus

Working from home

Your employer should try to make reasonable adjustments for you to continue to work. Ask if you can work from home instead of taking sick leave if you’re either:

  • self-isolating but not sick
  • extremely vulnerable to coronavirus and worried about returning to your workplace

Every employer has someone responsible for providing equipment to work safely. This includes working from home. If you’re not sure who this is, ask for the person responsible for health and safety.

Working from home as a reasonable adjustment

If your employer asks you to work from home even for 1 day, you can claim tax relief.

Claim tax relief for working at home (GOV.UK)

If someone is extremely vulnerable to coronavirus

Government advice has changed for people who are extremely vulnerable to coronavirus.

Guidance for people previously considered clinically extremely vulnerable (GOV.UK)

Benefits if you cannot work

You may be able to claim Universal Credit, Employment and Support Allowance (ESA) or other benefits if you are unable to work.  

Benefits and coronavirus

Working safely during coronavirus

The government has published online guidance to help employers and employees to work safely during coronavirus. If you’re worried about your safety, ask your employer what measures will be in place to protect you.

Working safely during coronavirus (GOV.UK)

Last reviewed by Scope on: 24/02/2022

Was this page helpful?

We're sorry to hear that.

Tell us how we can improve it

Need more help with benefits?

Opens in a new windowOpens an external siteOpens an external site in a new window