Coronavirus: information and updates

Help after your child is diagnosed

Taking action after your child gets their diagnosis can feel overwhelming. Find out where you can go for disability help, advice and support. This can range from childcare to home adaptations.

Help for disabled children (GOV.UK)

Contact our parent mentors

Information and advice about conditions

You may have forgotten what the professionals told you or have more questions about your child's condition. It's OK to ask for someone to go over the information again. Ask for a written summary if this will help.

Charities and other voluntary organisations also provide useful information and advice. Please bear in mind that not all information online is by medical experts.

Conditions information (NHS)

Tips on caring for a disabled child (NHS)

A to Z of conditions (Contact)

Local support

There's a range of local services to support disabled children and their parents. These can be anything from day care and financial help from your local authority to support from Disabled People’s Organisations (DPOs).

How to find local services for your disabled child

Search for local advice (Turn2us)

Search for your local authority to get information on support services in your area.

Financial support

There is a range of benefits, grants and allowances that may be available to you and your child. These may include:

Use the Turn2us benefits calculator to find out what you can claim.

Benefits and funding the extra costs of having a disabled child

You may also be able to get leisure discounts. These can include reduced entry to cinemas, museums or leisure parks. Check with the company about their concessions policy.

Last reviewed by Scope on: 17/08/2021

Was this page helpful?

We're sorry to hear that.

Tell us how we can improve it

Need more help as a parent?

Opens in a new windowOpens an external siteOpens an external site in a new window