Information for parents and carers about short breaks and activities in Leeds
Short break activities help disabled children have fun, try new things, gain independence and make friends. They also help parents and carers take a break from the pressures of family life.
Activities can be after school, at weekends or during school holidays. They can last from a couple of hours to a few days.
Activities can be broken down into 3 categories:
- services for everyone (universal services), which disabled children can access
- targeted services for specific groups of disabled children
- specialist services for children whose needs cannot be met by universal or targeted services
Services for everyone
There are lots of activities which all children can access, like Brownies and Cubs, arts and crafts or football clubs.
All services must make reasonable adjustments so that disabled children are included in their activities.
You can look for activities using these Leeds City Council websites:
You can also find activities via your school and your local children's centre.
If a service needs support to meet your child’s needs, please ask them to contact us to discuss our Inclusive Activity Award.
Sessional Inclusion Workers
Sessional Inclusion Workers support families of disabled children to access activities for everyone. They will attend the chosen activity with your child and upskill the group and staff at that activity. Offering short term support that aims to help the child to continue attending the group, after the support has finished.
Accessing Sessional Inclusion Workers:
- find an activity for your child
- fill out an initial referral. Please contact firstname.lastname@example.org for a referral form.
- a Sessional Inclusion Worker is identified
- Sessional Inclusion Worker initially attends 3 or 4 sessions
- we then assess the activity, working towards a withdrawal plan. Supporting the group with achieving our Inclusion Activity Award.
- once the family and group are happy that the child’s needs are being met. The support will end.
Unfortunately our application form will be unavailable until the 3 August, to allow for an essential system upgrade.