Energy saving tips
Saving energy is good for the environment and saves you money.
Heating your home
- Close curtains when it’s dark. Tuck them behind radiators to keep heat inside the home.
- Open your curtains on sunny days, letting the sun naturally heat the home.
- Close doors to keep heat in each room.
- Dry clothes outside where possible. Avoiding drying on radiators. Use a clothes airer in a well-ventilated room if you need to dry clothes indoors.
Reducing water usage
- Washing machines use less water on economy setting.
- Dishwashers are expensive to run. Use only when full and on economy setting.
- Having a shower is more economic than having a bath.
- Fix a dripping hot water tap.
- Do not leave water running. Use a plug or washing up bowl.
- Boil only the amount of water you need to make a cup of tea.
- Turn off lights when not in use.
- Unplug non-essential electrical items, such as chargers and the TV.
Last reviewed by Scope on: 10/11/2020
Was this page helpful?