Government help with energy bills

This information applies to England and Wales.

There are many ways you can get help with your energy bills and debt.

Contact Disability Energy Support service to work out what you’re eligible for and get help to apply.

Check you’re getting all the benefits and cost of living payments you’re entitled to.

There is no current energy help for households with disabled children.

There is more support if you:

If you’re in debt with your energy bills

If you’re in debt with your gas and electricity bills, the first thing to do is to tell your supplier. They must help you work out a plan to repay the debt that is affordable for you.

Create a budget for your payment plan (Income and Expenditure Hub)

You can also contact:

Suppliers usually ask you to repay debt within 12 months. They can extend this to 2 years if you are disabled or have a long-term health condition.

If you have a prepayment meter, your supplier will use a part of your payments to pay off your debt over an agreed period.

For example, if you pay £5 into your meter, your supplier might use £1 to pay off your debt and put £4 towards your energy supply.

Help and advice when you are in debt

Grants from energy suppliers

Some energy suppliers provide grants for people in debt. You do not always need to be a customer of the company to apply.

Getting financial help from your energy supplier

Warning Managing your mental health

If struggling with bills means you need support with your mental health, ask when you can.

Looking after your mental health and wellbeing is important. Everyone manages their mental health differently.

There are many things you can try.

Managing your mental health

Help from the government with your energy bills

The government has payments to help with energy bills and the cost of living. You do not need to pay them back.

You'll get the money automatically if you’re eligible. You do not need to apply.

Low-income payment

Pensioner cost of living payment

Disability cost of living payment

Report a missing Cost of Living Payment (GOV.UK)

Help from your local council

Until September 2024, local councils have funding for emergency grants.

Each council decides who is eligible for household support.

In Wales, you can apply for an emergency assistance payment online (

In England, contact your local council (GOV.UK)

Winter Fuel Payment

Most people get the Winter Fuel Payment automatically if they’re eligible.

You might get a Winter Fuel Payment if you were born before 25 September 1957.

Check if you need to claim Winter Fuel Payment (GOV.UK)

Cold Weather Payment

If you get some benefits, you may get a Cold Weather Payment if the average temperature in your area is 0 degrees Celsius or below for 7 days in a row.

A Cold Weather Payment is £25 for every 7-day period of very cold weather.

You will get the payment within 14 working days after the 7 days of consecutive cold weather.

It’s paid into the same bank or building society account as your benefit payments. It is a separate payment. You do not need to apply or pay this back.

Check whether you are eligible for a Cold Weather Payment (GOV.UK)

Warm Home Discount

The Warm Home Discount takes £150 off your electricity bill. It replaces the Core Group 2.

It does not affect any other payments you get. If you’re eligible, the Department for Work and Pensions (DWP) will send you a letter about the discount. The scheme re-opens on 16 October.

The payment is:

  • added to your meter or account
  • or sent to you as vouchers

Check if you're eligible for the Warm Home Discount (GOV.UK)

If you’re not eligible for the Warm Home Discount

If you’re not eligible for the Warm Home Discount, ask your energy provider about time to use tariffs.

A time to use tariff is when your electricity is at a cheaper rate for certain hours of the day. Some energy providers offer this during the colder months.

If you use medical and disability equipment

There are no specific gas and electricity discounts for disabled people, apart from the Disability cost of living payment.

If you use and charge medical and disability equipment at home, you could:

Rebates when you use an oxygen concentrator

If you use an oxygen concentrator at home, you can get a rebate for the electricity it uses. The company that supplies your concentrator can make payments to your bank account.

Call the Electricity Rebates (BOC Home Oxygen Service) Patient Service Centre on freephone 0800 136 603.

Call the Electricity Refund (Air Liquide Healthcare) rebate team on freephone 0800 781 9939.

Warning Warm spaces

There are over 3,000 warm spaces for the public across the UK.

You can filter your search to include accessible toilets and Wi-Fi.

Find a warm welcome space

Last reviewed by Scope on: 27/03/2024

Was this page helpful?

We're sorry to hear that.

Tell us how we can improve it

Need more help with your bills?