Benefits and other ways of funding the extra costs of being disabled

This information applies to England and Wales.

If you are disabled, you could get:

Information about benefits

Advice is available from government, charities and voluntary organisations.

Warning Benefits sanctions

Your benefits can be sanctioned if you do not do things in your claimant commitment.

Talk to your work coach if you cannot meet your claimant commitment because you or someone you live with is vulnerable to coronavirus.

Help with care

If you’re aged 16 to State Pension age, you can apply for PIP.

If you were receiving Disability Living Allowance (DLA) as a child, you’ll need to re-apply for PIP.

Moving from DLA to PIP

If you have an unpaid carer for more than 35 hours a week, they can apply for Carer’s Allowance.

Carer's Allowance

Your local authority has a duty to provide care at home. But what they provide depends on an assessment. Speak to your social services department about what you can get.

Find your local authority (GOV.UK)

How to get social care

Help with travel

You can apply to your local authority for a disabled person’s bus pass. A Disabled Persons Railcard gives you up to a third off rail fares.

Disabled Persons Railcard

If you travel for NHS treatment, you can apply for reasonable travel costs.

Healthcare Travel Costs Scheme (NHS)

If you have the higher rate mobility for DLA or the enhanced rate mobility for PIP, you can lease a car with Motability. You have to contribute your entire mobility component. The scheme does not pay for your fuel, but does cover:

  • insurance, including tyre and windscreen replacement cover
  • breakdown cover
  • vehicle tax

The Motability Scheme

Disability discounts for days out and travel

Help with the home

Your local authority can provide a Disabled Facilities Grant if you need specialist equipment or make changes to your home.

This includes:

  • wider doorways and ramps
  • stairlifts and a downstairs bathroom
  • adapting lighting and heating controls
  • specialist equipment for mobility or using the bathroom and kitchen

Some organisations provide grants for items not covered by your local authority or the government.

Grants for housing adaptations

Finding and applying for grants

Help with gas and electricity bills

Local advice

Look for a local agency who can provide advice on benefits, housing, jobs, legal issues and other practical help.

Find a local agency (Turn2us)

Get local advice (Advicelocal)

Last reviewed by Scope on: 12/10/2023

Was this page helpful?

We're sorry to hear that.

Tell us how we can improve it

More help with benefits