Council Tax reduction for disabled people

This information applies to England and Wales.

Council Tax is what you pay your local authority to cover the cost of services in your area.

How much you pay depends on:

  • where you live
  • your income, savings and any benefits you claim
  • your household income
  • who you live with

You may be able to get help with your Council Tax through a discount or reduction scheme. These schemes are different for every council in England and Wales.

The easiest way to find out if you are eligible for help with your Council Tax is to contact your local authority.

You will need:

  • your address
  • National Insurance number
  • details of your household income
  • any properties you own and income you make from them
  • any benefits you claim
  • who you live with and their personal situation

Use the Turn2us benefits calculator to find out what you can claim.

Benefits and funding for the extra costs of disability

Reduction and discount schemes

There are 3 main ways to get a discount or reduction on your Council Tax:

Disabled band reduction

This scheme reduces your Council Tax by a band if you or someone you live with is permanently disabled. This scheme looks at your home or 'dwelling'. You may qualify if you have:

  • enough space to use a wheelchair indoors
  • a room that is used by the disabled person, other than the bathroom or kitchen
  • an extra bathroom or kitchen needed by the disabled person

Council Tax Reduction

This is a means-tested scheme. This takes into account your income, savings and any benefits you claim. You can apply if you are on a low income or claiming one of the following:

Claiming Universal Credit does not automatically entitle you to help with your Council Tax.

Eligibility varies for every council in England and Wales.

Check with your local authority (GOV.UK)

Single Person Discount

If you are the only adult in your home or live with adults who are exempt, you may qualify for 25% off your Council Tax.

If you live with another adult on a low income who is not your partner, you can apply for a Second Adult Rebate. How much you get off your bill will depend on their income.

You cannot get a Second Adult Rebate at the same time as Council Tax Reduction.

Check if you can get a Second Adult Rebate on your Council Tax (Citizens Advice)

Council Tax exemptions

Some people do not need to pay Council Tax, such as:

  • a live-in carer looking after someone for at least 35 hours a week who is not their spouse, partner or child under 18
  • full-time students

Severe mental impairment exemption

People in England and Wales with a severe mental impairment (SMI) can get a Council Tax exemption.

A doctor would need to write a letter to confirm severe mental impairment.

Conditions that can lead to this include:

  • Alzheimer's disease
  • Parkinson’s disease
  • severe learning difficulties
  • stroke
  • dementia

You can get a claim form from your local council.

Read more about the Severe Mental Impairment Disregard scheme (

Applying for help with Council Tax

You can apply for help with your Council Tax through your local authority website, by phone or by paper application.

Check with the council what evidence you need to support your claim. Usually, it's:

  • proof of identity, such as a passport or driving licence
  • proof of address, such as a recent gas, electricity or water bill
  • bank statements
  • proof of savings

Your local authority may ask for other information, such as details of other people you live with and proof of other benefits. They will notify you by post about your claim.


Keep a record

It's a good idea to keep a copy of your application and the evidence you supplied.

You should also ask your local authority for a receipt or confirmation that they received your evidence.

Appeal a decision

If you do not agree with the decision, you can ask your local authority to review it.

If you do not hear back within 2 months or do not agree with the outcome of the review, contact the Valuation Tribunal about your claim.

Valuation Tribunal for England

Valuation Tribunal for Wales

Last reviewed by Scope on: 26/03/2024

Was this page helpful?

We're sorry to hear that.

Tell us how we can improve it

More help with benefits