Financial support for sport and exercise

There are several ways you might be able to get financial support for sports and exercise.

Sport and exercise for disabled children and young people

Finding discounted and free sports activities

National Disability Sports Organisations list free and discounted activities on their websites:

You could also search for activities through:

You could also search where you live:

Check what activities your local council offers. Some councils have a disability sports development officer you can speak with.

Find your local council (GOV.UK)

You could also look for groups that run free activities in your area on social media or Meetup.

If you cannot find anything in your area, you could try exercising from home. 

Club membership and offers

Many clubs, leisure centres and gyms offer membership where you pay a yearly fee and get discounts on activities. Some venues may have offers on classes too. For example, 10 classes for the price of 8. Or taster sessions where you can try a sport for free. There may also be an option to spread payments.

Employer schemes

If you work, you could check if your employer offers any staff benefits such as:

Grants for sport and exercise

There may be grants to help fund your sports and exercise depending on your needs and where you live. Some grants are for individuals, while others are only available to clubs or venues. Try looking for sports grants through:

You could also try:

Help with equipment

Clubs may have equipment you can use.

To fund equipment or kit for a particular activity, you could see if a local club or venue is willing to help you pay for it.

Some clubs offer grants and funding to individuals.

Finding and applying for grants

Personal budgets and direct payments

You might be able to get a personal budget or direct payments to pay for sport and exercise. For example, club and gym memberships or social groups.

This is money from your local authority. It is used to pay for the support you need.

Sport and exercise can be part of a:

Support and care plan

To get a support and care plan you need to apply for a needs assessment.

If you’re eligible, you will receive direct payments. You can only use this money for things that have been agreed on your support and care plan.

Apply for a needs assessment by social services (GOV.UK)

Educational, health and care plan (EHCP)

To get an EHCP that includes sport and exercise, you must be:

  • under 25

  • in education

  • unable to access the physical activities that are available

The EHCP needs to include a personal budget for sport and exercise. You can only use this money for things that have been agreed on your plan.

If your EHCP does not have financial support for sport, you can ask for a review.

EHCP reviews

Sport and exercise through your GP

Your GP can refer you to community schemes or projects for things like sports, cooking and healthy eating, arts activities and befriending. This is called 'social prescribing'.

What is social prescribing? (Healthy London Partnership video on YouTube)

Ask your GP what's available in your area. They may refer you to a link worker in England or a community connector in Wales who can help you think about your health and wellbeing needs.

You may need to pay for activities or sessions, but these are usually discounted.

There is also a National Exercise Referral Scheme in Wales where you can use sports facilities at discounted prices.

If your GP is not familiar with social prescribing, you could:

  • contact a disability charity to see if they know of any schemes where you live

  • ask people about their experiences of social prescribing on Scope's online community

See social prescribing projects by health board in Wales (NHS Wales)

The National Academy for Social Prescribing

Last reviewed by Scope on: 02/08/2023

Was this page helpful?

We're sorry to hear that.

Tell us how we can improve it

More on sport and leisure

Opens in a new windowOpens an external siteOpens an external site in a new window