Coronavirus: information and updates

Getting involved in your transition to adult care services

As you approach 18, you need to talk to your family, social worker, health or educational team to support you to get the services you need to achieve your goals and aspirations in adulthood.

Moving from child to adult care services is often called ‘transition’. This involves putting a plan in place to help you live as independently as possible.

Transition is different for everyone. It’s important you speak to your social worker or care co-ordinator to find out what adult support you will get.

Who will help you move into adult services

Who helps you will depend on the support you receive now.

You, your parent, carer or your social worker are central to the plan.

If you receive educational support, your Special Educational Needs Co-ordinator (SENCO) should play a role.

If you are having therapies or treatments, your health team will be involved.

When planning for transition starts

If you have an EHCP, the transition plan can start as early as your Year 9 Annual Review when you’re 13 or 14.

If you do not have an EHCP, a social worker can work with you on a transition plan.

Ask your social worker, care co-ordinator, education or health team if they have begun to plan your move from child to adult social care.

Your transition planning meeting

Your support teams should share with you the paperwork they are using to plan your transition as this information can help decide what support you need as an adult

You should look at the paperwork and make notes about:

  • what's working for you
  • what's missing
  • what needs changing
  • what's no longer needed

You should not have to bring any formal paperwork with you.

It’s important you make your voice heard when discussing your transition. Say what you want to do independently and what you will need help with.

Bring a friend who knows your situation or find an advocate who will help you to express your views if you think this will help.

Find an advocate

At the meeting, you, your parent or carer and the person managing your transition plan may discuss the following:

  • your hopes for the future
  • your health, housing, social care, lifelong learning and employment needs
  • what funding and benefits you’re entitled to
  • how you manage your life and what support you need
  • your emotional wellbeing and mental health
  • your social relationships and daily activities
  • your ability to manage your finances
  • your ability to manage your personal care

Check your benefits entitlements

With your permission, the person in charge of your transition plan could contact your school, family, friends and anyone who plays a role in your care to get a clear insight into your needs.

If you’re unhappy with the decisions made about your support

It’s important to be aware that the transition from childhood to adulthood will be a time of change in the support you receive.

There may be services and support you get because you are under 18. These may stop when you become an adult.

If you think you’re losing the support you need, explain your concerns to the social worker, care co-ordinator or the person in charge of your Education, Health and Care Plan (EHCP).

If you will need support as an adult but do not have support now

If you have not received social care services as a child but think you will need support as an adult, you should contact your local authority and ask the adult services team for advice.

Contact your local authority (GOV.UK)

Last reviewed by Scope on: 11/01/2021

Was this page helpful?

We're sorry to hear that.

Tell us how we can improve it

Need more help with social care?

Opens in a new windowOpens an external siteOpens an external site in a new window