Planning for transition to adult care services

Depending on your child's needs, you can start planning how your disabled child will move into adult services when they are about 14. Some services stop at a certain age. Different services will stop at different times. This is often called ‘transition’.

You and your child will need to make a plan for what their life might look like when they turn 18. This will depend on what you and your child want and what they can do.

Your school should help your child to learn skills that prepare them for adult life. If your child has an Education, Health and Care (EHC) plan, you should have a chance to review this every year. You can talk about the plan and your child’s future.

Support for your child at school: SEN and EHCP

Asking for an EHC plan review

Hospitals and doctors

Adult medical services are different. You and your child will probably need to deal with more specialists. Your GP may be the only person who has an overview of your child and their care.

Make a plan before your child turns 14. Talk to your paediatrician about the move to adult care. List the specialists who will be taking over your child’s care and agree a strategy. A meeting with you, the paediatrician and the adult specialists may also help, but could be hard to arrange.

The right to make decisions for your child

Being your child’s ‘next of kin’ on forms does not give you any power to make decisions for your child.

Being able to safely make decisions about finances, benefits and care is called ‘mental capacity’. Mental capacity starts at 16. But, legally you can make decisions for your child until they are 18 if both of the following apply:

  • your child, aged 16 or 17, does not have mental capacity for the specific decision
  • you have what the law calls ‘parental responsibility’

Managing affairs for someone else (Citizens Advice)

Finding legal help

Deputyship from the Court of Protection

If you do not think that your child can make their own decisions safely when they turn 18, you will need a legal document that gives you the power to make decisions on their behalf. This will normally be a deputyship from the Court of Protection.

You should get legal advice, particularly if your circumstances are more complex. For example, if you and the other parent of your child disagree about your child’s needs.

The Court of Protection will also hear cases for children aged 16 to 17. But you will not need this unless the local authority is involved or there is a dispute.

Become a deputy (GOV.UK)

Power of attorney

This is a legal document. Your child can make a power of attorney if they are over 18 and have 'mental capacity'. This might be useful if your child has mental capacity now but might not in the future. 

If you have power of attorney, you have the right to make decisions for your child if they lose capacity. Get legal advice to find out if a power of attorney is the right choice for your child.

For example:

Your child is 18. They can safely make decisions about their care, benefits and money. But their condition means that they might not in the future.

You and your child decide that your child should start making their own decisions. Your child makes a power of attorney. This means that if they stop having mental capacity because of their condition, you will have the right to make decisions for them.


Banks should make adjustments to help meet your disabled child’s needs. These could include changing their communication style, providing quiet meeting spaces and bank accounts without an overdraft. Your child can agree to give you a third party mandate that will let you check their account.

And all banks should help if your child is being financially abused.

Finding accessible bank accounts and financial services


If you feel that your child is not ready to manage their benefits when they’re 18, you could apply to be their appointee. This can be helpful if they have ‘mental capacity’, but do need support with benefits.

Become an appointee for someone claiming benefits (GOV.UK)

Social care (home care)

Start talking with the people who fund your child’s care. This could be your local authority, health authority or both. Do this as early as possible. Your local authority may have a transition services team.

The amount of care

There is a funding gap for social care. This can make it harder to get the services you know your child needs.

The amount of support you and your child will get usually depends on a transition assessment by your local authority.

If you ask for an amount of care, be prepared for your local authority to ask you to take less. Negotiate. Be clear about what you and your child want and why you need it. Never say you’re managing if you are not.

Transition assessments

You have the right to an assessment to see what your child’s needs will be when they become an adult. Ask your local authority for a transition assessment. These are similar to adult social care needs assessments.

Getting a needs assessment (NHS) 

If you will still be caring for your child when they become an adult, they should also assess your needs as a carer to see what support you need.

Your assessment will list ‘desired’ and ‘essential’ outcomes. Your local authority has a duty only to meet the essential outcomes.

Preparing for a carer’s assessment

Challenging a social care needs assessment

Paying for care

Adults are normally expected to pay for some of their social care. How much will depend on your circumstances.

If your child has complex health needs that cannot be met by the local authority, the NHS may pay for this care. This is type of funded care is called NHS continuing healthcare. Young people who are eligible for NHS continuing healthcare will get a continuing care package to help them move into adult services. Ask your GP or social worker for an assessment to find out if your child is eligible.

Are you eligible for NHS continuing healthcare funding? (Money Advice Service)

Direct payments

Direct payments from personal budgets are a way of managing and paying for care funded by your local authority or health authority.

They may give your child more choice on how they manage their care but can mean more work and responsibility.

Managing your social care direct payments budget

You and your child do not have to manage a personal budget if you do not want to. You can choose for the local authority to manage your child’s social care.

Housing and care homes

Even if your child needs support with personal care and has health needs, they might be able to live independently with the right support. 

Living in your home

If your child wants to carry on living with you, think about how both of your needs might change as you both get older. For example:

  • you might need support from a personal assistant to care for your child as they get older
  • your child might need new adaptations, like a hoist to get them into the bath as they get heavier
  • your child wants more privacy 

Funding to adapt your home (Money Advice Service)

Living independently

Think about the kind of place your child will need to live in. If your child will need an accessible place to live, start looking for accessible housing near you or for landlords who will let you make adaptations to the property. Whether the landlord lets you make changes may depend on the adaptations needed.

Getting more suitable accommodation and moving house

If you have enough money to pay for the deposit, it may be possible for your child to use their benefits to pay for a mortgage. But this can be difficult to do.

Mortgages for disabled people

Sheltered housing

In sheltered housing, people have their own flat. There is usually a warden who can give some limited support and some shared communal areas. It is not inspected or assessed by the Care Quality Commission.

Assisted living

Assisted living, sometimes also called ‘extra-care housing’, is similar to sheltered accommodation but there is support available for everyday tasks such as laundry. Assisted living is inspected by the Care Quality Commission.

Care homes and residential care

Care homes and residential care are for people who need help with most daily tasks, including personal care. If your child does not want to live in a care home or residential care, find out what support the local authority can provide to help them live independently.

If you’re thinking about a care home for your child, start looking for ones which you think would be good for your child. Talk to who is funding your care about what they recommend and what’s available. This could be your social care or health care worker. Think about what your child needs, including:

  • how often you might visit, and how near the care home is to where you live
  • how the age and needs of the other people there will affect your child
  • your child’s social life

Ask about what a typical week might look like and the care package that your funding will cover.

Care homes are inspected by the Care Quality Commission.

Friends and going out

Making and keeping friends and relationships is an important part of growing up and becoming independent.

Keeping your friends when life changes

Starting to travel on your own

Being included and going out with friends

Talking about your impairment or condition with new people

Education and training

When your child turns 16, they could:

Disability Rights UK runs a helpline for students who are planning to study a course in England when they are over 16.

If your child has an Education, Health and Care (EHC) plan, this should look at supporting them into further education.

Last reviewed by Scope on: 05/06/2019

Was this page helpful?

We're sorry to hear that.

Tell us how we can improve it

More about becoming independent

Opens in a new windowOpens an external siteOpens an external site in a new window